Driveshaft angles and vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driveshaft angles and vibration

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
jsealey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Driveshaft angles and vibration

I've installed a 2" BB on my Rubicon and have had an increase in vibration. It had a slight vibration before the lift and it got worse after. I have installed new tires (the reason for the lift) and that made no diference. I adjusted the toe as it was way out after the lift and I put some washers as spacers on the skid plate for the T-case. Last night I borrowed a digital protracter from work and measured my driveshaft angles. With the skid plate shimmed 3/8" the drive shaft measured 12 degrees the T-case output 5 and the pinion 7.
The manual says operating angles should be less than 3deg. mine are 12-5=7 and 12-7=5 cancellation should be within 1 deg. mine is 7-5=2 deg. Without the shims the driveshaft angle is 14 deg. this increases the operating angles to 9 and 7. Would a 1" mml fix this problem?

Unread 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
TJ_with_Tusks

if the vibes are from the rear make sure that the rear diff is at the exact same angle as the rear driveshaft. it they are from the front, get an aftermarket stering shock. You might also want to look into getting a motor mount lift and body lift instead if the tcase drop. It looks better, works better, and doesnt kill your ground clearance.
33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,
TJ_with_Tusks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
quiksilverj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

guy at the local jeep shop told me to set my pinion about 1 degree below my driveshaft angle so that when you are on the gas the angle is in line. no vibes if that helps any?
quiksilverj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
jsealey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are factory specifications like I quoted from the fsm the rule or just a guideline?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.