Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Drives like a boat

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  NotURMailman 
#1 ·
So my Tj drives like a boat. I am making a list of things that I need to do to make it drive as smooth as possible. I have read a lot of post here about pitman arms, sway bars, tie rods and now I am just confused. So, here is what I do know: I drives nice and straight up to about 45 and then it kinda floats all over. I know that I need new shocks and steering stabilizer. What do you guys see that would improve my ride?
In the 4th picture, I think there should be some kind of bushing where the tie rod attaches, is that right?
Any help would be appreciated...

See less See more
#2 ·
First question, what is your tire pressure?

Second question, have you done a dry steering test? Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth, just enough to move the tires a tiny bit, while you lay in front of the Jeep and look for movement in the steering and suspension parts.

Also, give us a shot from straight on the front of the Jeep so we can see the angle of the track bar and drag link.

#5 ·
I have no doubt that there are some worn parts in those pics judging from the missing boot on the tie rod end.. But who's aftermarket steering set up is that? It's not OEM geometry (which is certainly part of your problem) and likely the biggest issue with your wandering.

And in the last pic, what am I seeing at the frame side track at mount where the rod end attaches to the track bar? Something doesn't look right...

#6 ·
WTH is this? Maybe it's a trick of the eye in the photo but looks like there is a big opening in the track bar or whatever that is?

EDIT: Well I was trying to upload a picture of it with the spot circled but the forum keeps telling me it's not a valid image file, even though it is.

~

#14 ·
I see what you're talking about, it's an optical illusion. The "notch" is a filthy grease fitting in the drag link rod end that is in the foreground of the picture... it just happens to line up rather well with the track bar in the background. If you look at his first pic you'll see the track bar has no notch, and if you look at the third pic you will again see the rather dirty grease fitting in the drag link end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.