Driver Door Lock Gets stuck in LOCK position - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driver Door Lock Gets stuck in LOCK position

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 05-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Driver Door Lock Gets stuck in LOCK position

Recently I've been having problems opening my driver side door. It seems like the lock just gets stuck. I have to get in thru the other side (which is a PITA), force the lock in the "Unlock" position, and pull the handle simultaneously. Only then will the door open, and I then have to use the key (while the door is open) to get it to finally unlock. Then its fine until I leave my car locked, and the cycle repeats. Has anyone else had this problem before? I plan on taking my door apart when I get the chance, but I have no idea what I have to look for. I'm guessing I'll have to replace the entire lock, (or maybe spray it w/ some PB Blaster??). Thanks in advance guys.

WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If I have locked mine and try and open the outside handle without unlocking it jams the lock. I then have to go in the other side pull the interior handle (which unjams the lock) then unlock it. If you discover the cause of the problem please post it as it is a Pain is the %$#.

Luckily I almost never leave the jeep where it needs to be locked and I never lock it with the softtop on it.
Unread 05-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Take your door off, take it apart and WD40 the crap out of the lock and all the places where contact points are on the inside. I had the same problem it's what I had to do, works fine now.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lithium spray grease or PB blaster.I used both to fix mine.
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had to do some "Forming" of the linkages. Pull the door pannel off and have a look there isn't much room in there and it does jam sometimes. Mine wouldn't unlock from the inside but would with the key from outside, it uses different rods. Had to form the rods a bit so I could put power locks on the doors.
Unread 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/door-lock-jams-704772/

I just made this diagram to show how I fixed it. You have to bend the rod slightly to make it longer.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks a lot guys. I won't have time till later this week but I'll definitely try these methods and see what works.
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was having the same problem but took the door panel off and lubed it up with WD40. I have not had a problem but I only did it last week. Not sure how long it will solve the problem but it works for now.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 05:11 AM   #9
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I can't find pics right now. But, there is an adjustment. Don't just start bending rods. Take off the door panel and there is a plastic block that is snapped onto a long rod that has threads. Unsnap it and move it up or down (a very small amount) to fix your situation.
Unread 06-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
jerrylking

I had the same problem and I just fixed it. When you try to unlock the door from the inside, the rocker button pushes against a long linkage that pushes against the lock mechanism by the door strike, which is supposed to pivot and push upward against another linkage, which is supposed to rotate the door key tumbler. The problem isn't lubrication, although that helps. Nor is the problem a linkage that is too short. The problem is that, after time and usage, some slop develops in the plastic connectors and, in particular, the one that connects the lock mechanism by the door strike and the door key tumbler. The slop allows this upper linkage to move (down and left) to a position such that pushing the linkage just pushes against the tumbler rather than exerting a torque that will turn the tumbler. You can verify this by pulling the door panel off, locking the door, and pushing against the rocker button to try to unlock the door. With pressure on the rocker button, push the upper linkage upward and to the right--the linkage will snap upward and the door will unlock. The solution is to keep the upper linkage from getting out of position. I did this by unhooking the linkage at it's bottom end, sliding a small spring over it, and attaching the other end of the spring to a small hole I drilled in the door. The spring exerts a small pull up and to the right and keeps the linkage in it's proper position. I'm sure there are other ways to keep that linkage in position, but this one worked for me. Now my door lock works perfectly.
jerrylking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This happens with my passenger door if it is locked and somebody tries to open it from the outside while being locked. The switch then gets stuck in lock and you have to play with it to get it to unlock
Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
imjbinkc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jay12, i just had the same problem. Here is how I fixed it:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/passenger-door-lock-problem-803740/
imjbinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
imjbinkc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

And this thread will show how to adjust the link:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/removing-door-panel-514492/
Unread 06-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjbinkc View Post
And this thread will show how to adjust the link:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514492
The linkage shown there is slightly different than the newer doors. That is also showing a fix for an issue for the door latch and not the door lock.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
imjbinkc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
The linkage shown there is slightly different than the newer doors. That is also showing a fix for an issue for the door latch and not the door lock.
Yes, but if you had read my thread you would understand how they relate. If the door handle pulls the link too far it will cause the mechanism to jam the lock and then you can't unlock the door. Adjust the link so that it opens the door neer the end of the pull and it will keep from pulling the latch mechanism out of kilter and the lock won't jam. Worked for me. I could consistently get my lock to jam 100% of the time by locking the door and pulling on the outside handle. Now I can lock the door and pull the outside handle and no more jams. I'm not saying its the cure for all, but in my case it was the cure for me.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.