Driveline Vibration AFTER MML - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driveline Vibration AFTER MML

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
nfunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Driveline Vibration AFTER MML

So I installed a MMl, and a 1.25" bl from JKS. I now have a driveline vibration at about 90km/hr (50 miles or so). It seems to go away if I put the clutch in. Has anyone experienced this before? The rear angle is almost perfectly straight since I only have the 2" bb, and have the LWB LJ. It seems that now that the tcase is tilted, the front is at a bit of an angle....could this be the cause??

One more thing. The dealership recently replaced the rear end pinion seal. Is there anything they could have done to cause a vibration?

Thanks for any help you can give.

nfunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why did you install the MML? Did you have drive train vibration after installing the 2" BB? You shouldn't have needed to install the MML on the LJ for just a 2" BB.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remove the MML or lift the Jeep higher.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
nfunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I installed the MMl along with a Bl to clear larger tires. I also plan to add a tummy tuck, and will need the MMl to do so.

Wouldn't removing the MML just be the easy way out? Lots of people runs this setup....I'm asking to see if anyone has run into vibs before, and is aware of a problem, or knows of anything I can fix
Unread 05-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfunlimited
I installed the MMl along with a Bl to clear larger tires. I also plan to add a tummy tuck, and will need the MMl to do so.

Wouldn't removing the MML just be the easy way out? Lots of people runs this setup....I'm asking to see if anyone has run into vibs before, and is aware of a problem, or knows of anything I can fix
Adding the tummy tuck should counter act the MML and fix your vibes. Otherwise you could get upper adjustable control arms and rotate the pinion angle. You need the angle on the tcase and pinion to be the same to have no vibes. Since you didn't lift it that high and you have an LJ with the longer driveshaft thats why your having vibes.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
nfunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The rear driveshaft is in a straight line with 0 degrees angle. I didn't have any vibs with just the BB, and the angle is less now with the MMl, so wouldn't the vibs be less?

Is it possible the front driveshaft is the culprit???? Even when driving in 2 wheel drive?
Unread 05-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
bluehdmc

[quote=nfunlimited]The rear driveshaft is in a straight line with 0 degrees angle.

That in itself could be the cause of your vibration, U-joints are supposed to have some offset, I'm not sure of how many degrees is necessary but they are not supposed to be straight. After you put you tummy tuck in you'll restore some offset to the u-joints.
White Jeep Club #53
1999 Harley Road King
2006 BMW R1200RT
bluehdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
fordfreak$
2000 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=bluehdmc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfunlimited
The rear driveshaft is in a straight line with 0 degrees angle.

That in itself could be the cause of your vibration, U-joints are supposed to have some offset, I'm not sure of how many degrees is necessary but they are not supposed to be straight. After you put you tummy tuck in you'll restore some offset to the u-joints.

I really can't buy that. If your dealer removed your yoke to change your pinion seal then maybe they didn't retighten it properly. Does it make any whining noise
? Listen carefully before you answer. If so, take it back to them and tell them about it.

BOFA Racing
fordfreak$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
nfunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't noticed any whining noise. However, I will listen again before I confirm that. I was wondering if maybe when the dealer reinstalled the yoke, they didn't line the splines up in the same location they were. Would that cause a vibration?

The vibration is not a wobble or anything, but definately a new sensation. I have had a loose rear yoke strap on a yj, and I am familiar with the type of uncontrolable wobble that gave.

Thanks....this is really a help
Unread 05-31-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did I read your profile right that you have the MML in the front and the BB is only on the rear with the front suspention stock?
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 02:14 PM   #11
nfunlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have ACOS in the front, and the 2" spacers in teh rear. The ACOS is for the weight of the winch. It sits the same as a 2"bb with no winch

My profile could be wrong though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.