Drivebelt (serpentine) Length question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Drivebelt (serpentine) Length question

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 09-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
PDXTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Drivebelt (serpentine) Length question

Couple of things up front. I have been lurking awhile here and have seen how "dumb" questions get treated so I will do my best not to irritate anyone.
Second.... Yes I did search the forum for answers.
And last... I know my profile shows that I just joined but this is my 4th Jeep but my first TJ. Just got this 2000 TJ sport used a few weeks ago. Aside from a K&N air filter there appear to be no mods to the 4.0L engine.

The problem seemed simple: Squeaking drivebelt when cold. Better when hot. Either old belt or bad spring in the tensioner.

Tensioner could be moved a bit with my hand and not a breaker bar so I figured that was the problem.

I ordered a new tensioner and a new belt from rockauto.com. Figured I might as well change the belt while I am there.

Pulled off the old belt replaced the tensioner with no problem. But the new belt was new too short by about an inch. I had the tensioner fully depressed with a 1/2inch breaker bar. The routing is correct as well. (I checked several online diagrams and had taken a few pics ahead of time)

I checked several sites and the Gates Micro - V PN K060882 is listed each time as the correct belt. I called my local Mechanic and a local Baxter's Auto. They all agree that the PN K060882 is the correct belt for this engine with A/C.

The old belt is a Gates Micro- V K060900. I reinstalled the old belt and it fits fine, runs fine, no problems.

So the question - Is there something common or uncommon that the guru's here know about that would make the correct belt not fit? Is there any common mod that perhaps the previous owner performed that would require this longer belt. ( I swear I went over the front of that engine several times and I do not think there is anything but stock equipment. I even poked around in other areas and found a block heater. That was cool to find but not helpful for the current problem)

Clearly the jeep runs and works fine so this is not urgent. Thanks for any thoughts / comments

If someone else finds an answer by searching this site all I can say is, "my bad" and "Go easy on me"

Thanks - Scott

PDXTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serpentine belt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.