Drain Plug Removal with Pics! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Drain Plug Removal with Pics!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
SpydermanTJ

Drain Plug Removal with Pics!

Here's where to find the elusive drain plugs on your TJ.
First, you need to remove all the carpet from the tub. Then you can find them easier. They are black rubber plugs, and may prove somewhat difficult to remove the first time. There are a total of six. The easiest way to remove them is to use needle-nose pliers and grab the buggers. Carefully though, if you don't grab enough rubber, you might tear them.
Be sure to replace them securely, otherwise you may get water from the road leaking through.

Locate the ones in each footwell.
Driver:

Passenger:

Then there are two in the rear cargo area:

And one on each rear fender. Only the passenger side is shown, but they are identical:

Here's the cargo area all nice and clean!

Any questions ask, or PM me.

Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I though everyone knew that.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
vtjeepguy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i would be interested in knowing the best place to drill new drain plugs directly behind the front seats because that is where all my water tends to pool.
vtjeepguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjeepguy97 View Post
i would be interested in knowing the best place to drill new drain plugs directly behind the front seats because that is where all my water tends to pool.
I just take a drill and put a 5/8" hole in the middle of where the water is pooling. Of course you have to look underneath first to make sure you don't drill through anything but the tub. My water pools differently depending on whether I park in the street or in the driveway because of how the jeep is tilted so there's no real science to it.

2005 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 6spd
2" BB, JKS 1.25" BL & MML, M/T MTZ 33x12.50R15
HP D30: Aussie Locker, D44: Eaton Elocker
FarFire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i have 2 in the rear passenger foot wells

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
AngusTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hijack 98TJguy, just adding a little something

behind the driver/passenger seats there is three channels on either side that lead directly to a plug. its not a rubber plug and if you remove it, it will be permanent. but i leave my carpets out and dont sit back there, and HATE the water pooling up so i took mine out. if you take a chizel start from the front of the vehicle direction and hammer into the oval plug. there is two tabs on each end underneath the jeep that will bend out when you hammer them out. the factory puts a protective coating, almost like putty, on the plug to keep water out, but it keeps it in. if you look at 98TJguy's pictures illustrating the front rubber plugs, you can see the plugs that are located at the bottoms of the channels. they are the same in the back. they come out very easy and i have had water to my hood and they drain MINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjleslie03 View Post
I know how bad the D35 is in the rear, but would it be bad to have one in the front?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostj View Post
yes, you wouldn't be able to steer
98' TJ, 4" Superlift, JKS 1.25" BL/ 1" MML, 8k Gorilla winch, Cowl intake, D30 Aussie, shafts/D44 Powertraxx, shafts (4.56's), Rusty's Adj CA's front/ RE Adj CA's rear, Recessed tails, sway discnct'd, 152 db train horns, 34x10.5 LTB's Amer Rac/36x13.5 Irok's Streetlocks, Grenade shifter, Pioneer deck/speakers, Warn bumpers, KC upper lite mts/Slim lites, EBC yellows, 40 series Flowmaster, couple tasteful more ...
AngusTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusTJ View Post
Sorry to hijack 98TJguy, just adding a little something

behind the driver/passenger seats there is three channels on either side that lead directly to a plug. its not a rubber plug and if you remove it, it will be permanent. but i leave my carpets out and dont sit back there, and HATE the water pooling up so i took mine out. if you take a chizel start from the front of the vehicle direction and hammer into the oval plug. there is two tabs on each end underneath the jeep that will bend out when you hammer them out. the factory puts a protective coating, almost like putty, on the plug to keep water out, but it keeps it in. if you look at 98TJguy's pictures illustrating the front rubber plugs, you can see the plugs that are located at the bottoms of the channels. they are the same in the back. they come out very easy and i have had water to my hood and they drain MINT
THOSE are the plugs that DC should have made easily removable! The floor pan is designed to have the water drain out right there instead of where the smaller, round, rubber plugs are. I'd pull all those out if it wasn't permanent or if I could find an oval rubber plug to replace them with. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Unread 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
AngusTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
THOSE are the plugs that DC should have made easily removable! The floor pan is designed to have the water drain out right there instead of where the smaller, round, rubber plugs are. I'd pull all those out if it wasn't permanent or if I could find an oval rubber plug to replace them with. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

EXACTLY. i didnt take all of mine out, just the two behind my seats, but in the winter i put my carpets back in so maybe ill take them all out

Quote:
I know how bad the D35 is in the rear, but would it be bad to have one in the front?
Quote:
98' TJ, 4" Superlift, JKS 1.25" BL/ 1" MML, 8k Gorilla winch, Cowl intake, D30 Aussie, shafts/D44 Powertraxx, shafts (4.56's), Rusty's Adj CA's front/ RE Adj CA's rear, Recessed tails, sway discnct'd, 152 db train horns, 34x10.5 LTB's Amer Rac/36x13.5 Irok's Streetlocks, Grenade shifter, Pioneer deck/speakers, Warn bumpers, KC upper lite mts/Slim lites, EBC yellows, 40 series Flowmaster, couple tasteful more ...
Unread 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

These look close. Maybe a little too narrow.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/71-72...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Jason D; 04-23-2009 at 06:03 PM..
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
RUBtjICON
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjeepguy97 View Post
I have drain plugs in my rear floor pans Or atleast I think I do. its been since the start of winter when I put my carpet back.
All Who Drive Jeeps Are Not Jeepers - Willy 3:16
RUBtjICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBtjICON View Post
I have drain plugs in my rear floor pans Or atleast I think I do. its been since the start of winter when I put my carpet back.
Newer TJs may very well have them, spyder6 said he had them there as well. Us older TJ guys are not blessed with rear footwell drains and we get lovely pools of water instead
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

And here I thought those plugs were so you could urinate while on long road trips.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
RUBtjICON
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
And here I thought those plugs were so you could urinate while on long road trips.

Trust me, I considered it
All Who Drive Jeeps Are Not Jeepers - Willy 3:16
RUBtjICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
AngusTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i think its 97-02/03? that have two rubber in front, two on the "bed" area and two on the wheel wells. but i believe newer models have plugs behind the seats and we are stuck with a permanent removal

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
Dravintoad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hate it when water pools up on my wheel well.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.