Double Cardan Vs. Cv Drive Shaft - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Double Cardan Vs. Cv Drive Shaft

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Reply
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #16
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Elkmont, AL
Posts: 9,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteYJTJ View Post
I'm not a JK guy, but don't JKs have CV joint (ball type) rear driveshafts, rather than ujoints? I thought I saw that somewhere.

Pete
Don't think so. Most in the Jeep community use the terms double cardan and CV to mean the same thing. They are really refering to the double cardan style shaft with two u-joints and a centering ball on the transfer case end and a single u-joint on the differential end.

__________________
Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
PeteYJTJ
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BOSTON
Posts: 896
2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Driveshaft - 4 Wheel Drive and Sport Utility Magazine

?????

Pete
__________________
88YJ:SOA/locked/35s/Superwinch=Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ:4.0/3"+10mm/Superwinch=DD & Expedition Jeep.
PeteYJTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #18
MeltdWhiskey
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 343
if i ever have to install another ds, i'm going with Cornay. i assume price has something to do with me not hearing much about them on any of the forums.

Cornay® - Welcome
MeltdWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Elkmont, AL
Posts: 9,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteYJTJ View Post
You were right. Hmm! I had crawled around under on and didn't notice it. I was paying more attention to the suspension and obviously didn't pay enough attention to the drive shaft.
__________________
Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
PeteYJTJ
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BOSTON
Posts: 896
Like I said -- I didn't remember, had to go find that. Maybe they've stopped using them, as it was considered a weak point? I have no idea. Man, JK's been in production almost 4 years already. Yikes, time flies!

Pete
__________________
88YJ:SOA/locked/35s/Superwinch=Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ:4.0/3"+10mm/Superwinch=DD & Expedition Jeep.
PeteYJTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #21
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Elkmont, AL
Posts: 9,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteYJTJ View Post
...Man, JK's been in production almost 4 years already. Yikes, time flies!...
It was right after the JK hit the dealer lots that I was crawling around under one and I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night. Did I have dinner last night?
__________________
Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
lukethedork
Member
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK. Am I there yet?
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert View Post
constant velocity (CV) joint


works like this


a double cardan uses U-joints instead of that weird ball thingy those toyota ppl are so fond of (front axle)
I don't know what you define a 'CV' joint as. But to me it is a Constant Velocity joint and much like a TV (television) it can come in many different shapes, sizes, and designs.

I believe the joint in the pictures you posted is called a Rzeppa joint.
Both the Rzeppa joint and Double-Cardan joint are what I consider to be CV joints.

Luke.
lukethedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltdWhiskey View Post
if i ever have to install another ds, i'm going with Cornay. i assume price has something to do with me not hearing much about them on any of the forums.
They list a maximum and operating RPM's. operating RPM of their CVX joint is only 2200, but maximum is 5000. Might want to ask them what would happen if you drive for sustained periods over 2200 RPM. Even w/ my OD (0.72ish:1) i still go over 2200 RPM on the highway.

Cornay® - Welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukethedork View Post
I don't know what you define a 'CV' joint as. But to me it is a Constant Velocity joint and much like a TV (television) it can come in many different shapes, sizes, and designs.

I believe the joint in the pictures you posted is called a Rzeppa joint.
Both the Rzeppa joint and Double-Cardan joint are what I consider to be CV joints.

Luke.
DC, Rzeppa (which i posted animations of), Tripod, Thompson couplings. They are all CV joints of varying sorts. A lot of car people think of Rzeppa styles when we say 'CV' joint. Is that a Rzeppa on the stock JK?
If you feel the need to jump on me about this, why don't you call them what they really are? Rzeppa and DC joints. Just calling it a CV might confuse somebody. Obviously the OP was confused about the difference.

Double Cardan Joint


Rzeppa Joint


Tripod Joint


Thompson Coupling
[yt]Dh5C4e4exhM[/yt]
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.

Last edited by mike_dippert; 09-30-2009 at 09:12 AM..
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,176
This is an old thread but since it has been revived, driveshaft expert Tom Wood considers a double-Cardan and a CV joint to be the same thing. His opinion is good enough for me and I'll continue to use the terms interchangeably.

In all of his technical writeups, Tom uses the two terms interchangeably and even places one in parenthesis following the other like where he says "The real benefit to a C. V. (double cardan) drive shaft is smoother operation at higher operating angles and longer life. The C.V. assembly works by intersecting the joint angles at the center pivot point and delivering a smooth rotational power flow or surface velocity through the drive line." at Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - Tom Woods Custom Drive Shafts Custom Driveshafts Specialist on his Driveline Geometry 101 tech page.

That above animation is cool but that's not the only form of CV joint, the driveshaft industry widely categorizes a double-Cardan (two u-joints with a centering joint) and many other types as a CV (constant velocity) style joints as well.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #25
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert View Post
DC, Rzeppa (which i posted animations of), Tripod, Thompson couplings. They are all CV joints of varying sorts. A lot of car people think of Rzeppa styles when we say 'CV' joint. Is that a Rzeppa on the stock JK?
If you feel the need to jump on me about this, why don't you call them what they really are? Rzeppa and DC joints. Just calling it a CV might confuse somebody. Obviously the OP was confused about the difference.

Double Cardan Joint


Rzeppa Joint


Tripod Joint


Thompson Coupling
[yt]Dh5C4e4exhM[/yt]
This is an awesome explanation. I'm stealing it and adding it here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...90/index4.html
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #26
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,990
a rectangle is a square but a square isn't a rectangle.
but for the purposes of Jeepforum, and jeeps in general, CV and DC joints are the same object. but in the world of joints, they aren't always interchangable. hence TW using parenthesis to specify which CV joint he's talking about.
__________________
You can't argue with ignorance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRZA View Post
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #27
NotURMailman
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Round Here, Florida
Posts: 5,855
This is like DeJaVu...

They are all types of CV joints.

Double cardan type CV joint - the kind most Jeeps use on the drive shafts, utilizing two U-joints

RZeppa type CV joint - the "ball type" you usually see on front wheel drive imports

Tripod style - a plunger type, resembles a three ended u-joint inside of a machined housing (sometimes also of FWD car axles)

Birfield joint - another style of "ball type" CV joint, theses are the ones people are usually talking about when they refer to older Toyota front axle shafts

So yes, a double cardan joint is a CV joint. But no, a CV joint isn't nescessarily a double cardan joint.

So you can't ask if a DC joint or a CV joint is better. That's like asking "Which is better - oil or lubricant?"!

BTW - CV joint means constant velocity joint, meaning that it theoratically does not change speed as it rotates through it's range of motion when operated at an angle...
__________________
My RHD TJ - Savvy equipped... And loving it! - Durty Rok Carolina Offroad

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #28
Zachs
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kinston, NC
Posts: 594
^ great info man.
__________________
2000 Sahara TJ
1997 Limited ZJ
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #29
bean66
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 252
Is anyone making a drive shaft with a thompson coupling?

A shaft with two couplings one on each end would pretty much allow the transfercase vs differential to be at just about any angles...
Eliminating the need to install adjustable control arms etc.

Last edited by bean66; 09-30-2009 at 01:03 PM..
bean66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #30
NotURMailman
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Round Here, Florida
Posts: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean66 View Post
Is anyone making a drive shaft with a thompson coupling?

A shaft with two couplings one on each end would pretty much allow the transfercase vs differential to be at just about any angles...
Eliminating the need to install adjustable control arms etc.
I doubt it, I believe that is a fairly new design...

Looks like a high tech variation of a double cardan joint.

Probably pretty expensive!
__________________
My RHD TJ - Savvy equipped... And loving it! - Durty Rok Carolina Offroad

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.