Double Cardan Vs. Cv Drive Shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Double Cardan Vs. Cv Drive Shaft

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
n8tmi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Double Cardan Vs. Cv Drive Shaft

WHICH DRIVE SHAFT IS STRONGER FOR THE REAR OF 97' TJ? DOUBLE CARDAN STYLE OR A CV STYLE? TRYING TO DECIDE ON SYE STYLE. HACK AND TAP OR OTHER.

n8tmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Isn't it the same thing?
I would stay away from a hack and tap. Some may say that it's fine, but I just don't like the idea.

Personally I have the older JB supershort kit.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
CaleTJ99
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Front drive shaft out of an xj, cheap, take it to a driveline shop, $80 for the shaft and to have it cut, your good to go.
and never monday we all know you invented 4 wheel drive, and you cold forged the S35 in the depths of moridor, but this is 44 vs 88. so when the next 35 thread comes up. you can play for that team:kiss:
CaleTJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

constant velocity (CV) joint

works like this

a double cardan uses U-joints instead of that weird ball thingy those toyota ppl are so fond of (front axle)
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They're basically the same thing. I think ONLY Double Cardan shafts are made for Jeeps. But I seriously wonder why a true CV shaft (ball type) isn't used or preferred in 4x4 applications. Serviceability maybe? Cost? I know it's not power reasons because I've seen some of those shafts handle 800HP or more. It just seems like they could handle some extreme angles.

Any thoughts on that?
TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert View Post
constant velocity (CV) joint

works like this

a double cardan uses U-joints instead of that weird ball thingy those toyota ppl are so fond of (front axle)
those are actually some very strong axles and can operate at some very steep angles. theres a company building axle shafts for TJ's now but i dont remember the name of the company.

a lot of people call the double Cardan drive shaft a CV shaft so when you bring up this subject most people will say they are the same. when you get to specifics they arent the same at all. dippert gave a perfect example of a cv shaft.

IMO id go with the SYE and double Cardan drive shaft. the hack and tap just seems like too much work for an inferior setup. i believe the new input shaft you get with the SYE kit is stronger than the stock one so the hack and tap job isnt as strong.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
those are actually some very strong axles and can operate at some very steep angles. theres a company building axle shafts for TJ's now but i dont remember the name of the company.
http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ311 View Post
They're basically the same thing. I think ONLY Double Cardan shafts are made for Jeeps. But I seriously wonder why a true CV shaft (ball type) isn't used or preferred in 4x4 applications. Serviceability maybe? Cost? I know it's not power reasons because I've seen some of those shafts handle 800HP or more. It just seems like they could handle some extreme angles.

Any thoughts on that?
They can be built to handle the angles, but their typical failure is they can't handle the higher RPM's the driveshaft needs to turn. The driveshaft turns an average of 4 times faster than the wheels do. That's a big increase in surface feet per minute that the bearings get subjected to.
Unread 04-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
n8tmi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks So Much For The Input.
n8tmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer View Post
thats the company. once i can afford a set of these ill be putting them on my axle.

Unread 04-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
thats the company. once i can afford a set of these ill be putting them on my axle.
FYI, once you upgrade the Ujoints on the front axle (by switching to longfields), the R&P become the next weakest link.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Superior ring and pinion will be part of my front axle upgrades

Unread 09-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #13
billymac4511
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I know this thread is a few months old, but I've been recently dealing with similar issues. I found a great writeup on pirate4x4.com

It explains not only how to do your universals, but also offers a disgustingly in-depth explanation so when you're done reading it, not only is your brain made of driveshaft goo, but you can replace/repair a driveshaft and/or joint while you are drunk, asleep and have your eyes closed. It will also teach you how to match up angles correctly and explain what Glidecote, Phasing and a Trunnion all are.

The four-part writeup is found here.
billymac4511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not a JK guy, but don't JKs have CV joint (ball type) rear driveshafts, rather than ujoints? I thought I saw that somewhere.

Pete
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.