Double cardan type drive shaft without SYE? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Double cardan type drive shaft without SYE?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 09-02-2004, 05:36 AM   #1
Baas

Double cardan type drive shaft without SYE?

Any views on keeping the standard slip yoke with a double cardan type drive shaft to eliminate driveline vibrations on a 4” lift???
I built my lift kit complete with control arms, track bars, coils and drive shaft here in South Africa. Due to the cost of shipping from the U.S it was out of necessity rather than anything else. The only thing I imported was the SYE from 4WD hardware (I have a friend in Fort Lauderdale that brought it over for me).
Now my problem is I am replicating this kit for a mate of mine and cannot get the SYE to South Africa. I know that I can use the hack & tap method of SYE but I don’t like the thought of hacking of the output shaft (sound to backyard for me).
So has anyone fitted a double cardan type drive shaft successfully with the standard yoke and eliminating driveline vibs?
Or if anyone is coming to South Africa could you please drop a SYE in your luggage for me??

Baas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 06:23 AM   #2
Jeepin_Jeffster

Without a SYE, there is nothing holding the yoke onto the output shaft. Depending on which SYE kit you go with, you will either need to cut down your current output shaft and drill and tap a yoke onto it (Hack&Tap method) or open your transfer case up and replace your output shaft with a new one designed for a yoke on the end of it.

-Jeff

[COLOR=white][B]White[/B][/COLOR] Jeep Club Member #22
Jeepin_Jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
Baas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin_Jeffster
Without a SYE, there is nothing holding the yoke onto the output shaft. Depending on which SYE kit you go with, you will either need to cut down your current output shaft and drill and tap a yoke onto it (Hack&Tap method) or open your transfer case up and replace your output shaft with a new one designed for a yoke on the end of it.

-Jeff
I see what you saying but I was thinking along the lines of keeping the slip yoke and connecting the double cardan end of the drive shaft directly to the u-joint on the slip yoke.
Obviously the drive shaft will have no slip. This will retain the standard angle of slip.
This will definitely work but the main aim of the SYE (in my humble opinion) is to accommodate a longer drive shaft thus decreasing the driveline angles and this will decreases driveline vibrations. The slip being on a yoke or on the drive shaft is immaterial.
I guess my query is actually: Will the shorter (than with the SYE) drive shaft fitted with the double cardan CV type drive shaft eliminate driveline vibs? If not I thing fitting a double cardan type universal joint on both ends might do the trick???

Any thoughts?????
Unread 09-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #4
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

The drive shaft isn't long enough and with a standard slip yoke the double joint would not work correctly.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 07:36 AM   #5
Baas

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
The drive shaft isn't long enough and with a standard slip yoke the double joint would not work correctly.
I just phoned my local drive shaft manufacturer. The standard drive shaft is to short to fit the CV unit on. The angle is too severe to find a u-joint that will work.
So hack & tap it is!
I forgot how short that drive shaft actualy is!!
Thanx for the input anyway!
Unread 09-02-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baas
So has anyone fitted a double cardan type drive shaft successfully with the standard yoke and eliminating driveline vibs?
Or if anyone is coming to South Africa could you please drop a SYE in your luggage for me??
That is how my Jeep is setup. 98 TJ with Teraflex 4" lift. No SYE. The double cardan is on the transfer case end. No vibes.
Unread 09-02-2004, 10:58 AM   #7
Jack Flesher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedJeeper
That is how my Jeep is setup. 98 TJ with Teraflex 4" lift. No SYE. The double cardan is on the transfer case end. No vibes.
I'd like to see a picture of that!
97 TJ, 4.0 5sp, 4:1 TC, 2-low, SYE, 3.5" RE Superflex, 1" BL, Belly-up skid, D44 Tru-Lok F&R, 4:11's, 33's
Jack Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 11:27 AM   #8
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flesher
If I get home during daylight hours and remember, I'll try to roll under there and snap a pic. I'm pretty sure its a double cardan at the transfer case end. I know I didn't pay for a SYE. I did not do the install. I had it done 5 years ago and it has performed flawlessly for over 100,000 miles and several trails.
Unread 09-02-2004, 11:27 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flesher
Me too...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2004, 11:52 AM   #10
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Me too...
OK, now you're making me have doubts I wish my Jeep was here with me.
Unread 09-02-2004, 12:22 PM   #11
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
What yo probably have is a hack and tap. I'm positive you do not have a slip yoke.

[Jeep Pics
Unread 09-02-2004, 05:39 PM   #12
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
What yo probably have is a hack and tap. I'm positive you do not have a slip yoke.
I'm positive there is no SYE kit installed. Maybe I am just remembering the front shaft double cardan. The rear shaft is pretty short...
Unread 09-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #13
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Post a picture.

[Jeep Pics
Unread 09-02-2004, 09:35 PM   #14
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've made bigger mistakes
Unread 09-03-2004, 12:36 AM   #15
Baas

Quote:
I'm positive there is no SYE kit installed. Maybe I am just remembering the front shaft double cardan. The rear shaft is pretty short...
I still think this is possible!
I have asked Tom Woods for some advice on this issue.
Check out the Shorty double cardan type drive shaft at the bottom of the page - Only 10". I am sure one could take out the slip and it will work.
http://www.4xshaft.com/

The proof is in the pudding I always say! I am going ahead with it!
I will post the pics once it is done and tested! We have a military testing facility for off road vehicles. After the fall of Apartheid they oppened it up for the public.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.