Doors and mirrors off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Doors and mirrors off

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
MP Curtis

Doors and mirrors off

Has anyone been pulled over for having their doors off due to not having side rearview mirrors?

Unread 04-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
jeepncarl

i think that a jeep is the only vehicle that this is street leagal. I think that It is a grandfather clause thing.

To come... winch, lockers, fabtec long arm 8 inch kit. V8?
jeepncarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
hikerpaddler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be suprised if any jeep was treated differently by the law than another vehicle regarding mirrors. Contrary to rumor, in many if not most states, the rear view mirror on the windshield is all that you need, and even that's not always necessary, though it's adviseable to have one. Look up the laws for your state. They're available online, for pretty much every state.
hikerpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
NotARedneck
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know the exact working of the law in my area but I know it calls for a drivers side mirror, no matter what. Having said that, we've got an unually warm spell right now and I've seen maybe 2 dozen Jeeps the last couple of days with tops and doors off, mine included. I've seen ONE Jeep with mirrors, a built up Rubi that I'm sure the guy really just wanted more goodies for his rig, not for the legal issue, and he was running both sides. That's it. I can only comment on my area, but I think the risk is overrated. I've personally ordered a mirror that should be in stock tomorrow and I'm thinking I just wasted forty bux.

Be observant to the other doorless Jeeps in your area, if the majority are running without mirrors, then ask yourself if it's a risk you want to accept or not. Another way of looking at it is if you don't look like a hooligan and you're not driving in a style that calls attention to yourself, MOST police officers won't give you a second look. BUT if you drive like an idiot and you're hooting and hollering at every skirt you pass or giving the finger to every beige Toyota holding up traffic, chances are you'll get called out.
NotARedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
RubiconSS

Depends on your DOT. In Pa., (Yes, subject of debate but...) removing your doors (regardless of mirrors) is not legal.
Do most Police turn a blind eye? Yes. Does not change the law however nor does it change the fact that I regularly drive sans doors.
Unread 04-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Luck881
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey NotARedneck

I just called my local police department since the MTO site is of no help at all and according to the officer I spoke to, from the Highway Traffic Act:

Other equipment

Windshield wiper, mirror

66. (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with,

(a) a device for cleaning rain, snow and other moisture from the windshield so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver;

(b) a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (1).

...he said so long as you have a rearview on the windshield, you are good! This is great news for those of us in Ontario, It saves me 80.00CDN on a set of those Harley Mirrors I've been looking at.
Just to be sure though, I read ahead and found no exceptions that might contradict this. If you want to have a look here you go;

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/S...08_e.htm#BK111

'05 TJ SE, 2.4L, 6 Spd, 2(+)" Procomp Lift, 33" GY Duratracs
'09 Ram QC SLT
Luck881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Mudder6699

Cops can be pretty picky around here for what they pull you over for. But Ive had my doors off for over 3 weeks now with no problems, and I know theyve seen me without mirrors.
99 GMC Sierra RCLB 4x4-Gone
Mudder6699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #8
Cowboy1629
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I called the Indiana State Police just the other day about this and they told me as long as you have a windshield mounted rearview mirror and did not have a restriction on your license requiring you to have side mirrors it was legal in the state of Indiana to operate a Jeep without doors and mirrors. I’m sure each state is different and it only took 3 different officers before I got an answer and I think he had to look it up.
Cowboy1629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1629
I called the Indiana State Police just the other day about this and they told me as long as you have a windshield mounted rearview mirror and did not have a restriction on your license requiring you to have side mirrors it was legal in the state of Indiana to operate a Jeep without doors and mirrors. Iím sure each state is different and it only took 3 different officers before I got an answer and I think he had to look it up.
Well there's one call I don't need to make.

I just thought the cops around here were lazy.

I've heard some horror stories about the People's Republic of Pennsyltucky and New Joisey. Two states that seem to have some very strict vehiclular laws, and cops with nothing better to do than enforce and write tickets.
[SIZE="1"][I]OME 2.5" (930 front, 942 rear), Daystar 3/4" front spacers, OME N66/N67 shocks, JKS adj track bars, JKS BBL, JKS BMML, really cool toddler booster seats,
Jeeperman bumpers and rockers, IPF 968, Cobra 75WX CB, sPod switches, Cheerios under the rear seat, Skid Row engine and steering box, MORE steering
shaft lift, crayon marks on the sport bar, Napa SC2928 steering stabilzer, Warn xd9000i winch, something that smells bad on the passenger side rear
fender that a child probably had something to do with, HiLift jack, a .357 Magnum S&W, and an Indianapolis Colts SBXLI World Champion window sticker. [/I][/SIZE]
PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMan

I just thought the cops around here were lazy.

I've heard some horror stories about the People's Republic of Pennsyltucky and New Joisey. Two states that seem to have some very strict vehiclular laws, and cops with nothing better to do than enforce and write tickets.
I don't think NJ is as bad as Pennsylvania. Today I went doorless and passed two police without any problem. I do have two mirrors mounted on my windshield but running doorless isn't a problem as far as I can see. I think you only need a driver's side mirror and the rearview. I have both.

I also haven't had any problems with my lift, bigger tires and flares.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.

Last edited by Dirty Backroads; 04-20-2006 at 06:56 PM..
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
P89Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Texas, and I haven't been messed with. But if one does try to tell me something about not having my mirrors on, then I will have to inform him that to pass state inspection here in Texas you only have to have ONE mirror, and the one on the windshield is enough. I used to inspect cars here, so I know the laws.
P89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #12
cb19950
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P89Jeeper
I live in Texas, and I haven't been messed with. But if one does try to tell me something about not having my mirrors on, then I will have to inform him that to pass state inspection here in Texas you only have to have ONE mirror, and the one on the windshield is enough. I used to inspect cars here, so I know the laws.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love texas lol i was trying to find that out

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
cb19950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #13
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why wouldn't you want mirrors?? Dangerous to drive without them.
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
Muddy Tj Zack

Every state is different...in Ohio you only need rearview mirror....in South Carolina I got yelled at for not having them, No ticket though!
'97 Tj Sport, 4.6L Stroker, 5-Speed, 4-in suspension lift, 35" TrXus M/t's, Dana30/Ford 8.8 w/ Aussie Locker, Teraflex ExtremeShort SYE, custom front and rear bumpers, Flowmaster Off-road Series, and a bunch of other goodies........MoPar or No-Car!!!
Muddy Tj Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #15
MudMomma
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was told in Michigan that you need a rearview mirror and one side mirror in order to be legal. I ordered my safari mirrors and am picking them up tomorrow. I figured $49 was cheaper than the tickets I would risk.
MudMomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.