Door surround bolts/screws stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door surround bolts/screws stuck

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Korvin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Door surround bolts/screws stuck

I was trying to remove my door surrounds today; however, the bolts/screws/whatever just did not want to budge.

The knobs on top seem to just spin and spin, but nothing loosens. I have shot PB blaster in through the bottom in an attempt to loosen it all up, but have not had any improvement.

Any ideas or experiences that I could benefit from?

I attached a picture of what I am refering too in case I just did the worst description in the world.

Thanks!

img_0565.jpg  
Korvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
tomegood87
2001 TJ Wrangler 

on the bottom side of the surround can you see the bolt unscrewing? Or the knob may not be locking to the bolt.
tomegood87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Korvin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the screw is definitely not turning. I am pretty sure the knobs are just rotating on top of the screws.

I had the idea to pry off one of the knobs to see if I could just use vice-grips to turn the screws and all I ended up doing was snapping the knob in half. Thankfully super glue fixed that...lol.

So yeah, I am not sure how to approach this now. I figure I could drill/hammer out these suckers, but I don't see me being able to tap in new threads. Also, I wouldn't know what to screw in to hold the surrounds on at that point.
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Your plastic knob has broken from the bolt... Some of mine are like that too... Just pull off the knob, and unscrew the bolt with some vice grips. I've epoxied my knobs back on, but it only holds for a while.... Some day I'll replace them. They don't have to be torqued down with much force, just enough to keep them from rattling....

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
chubbena
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would press hard or pull hard on the knob and turn to see if it helps.
chubbena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Korvin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. Mission Accomplished. Though not easily.

After drowning these things with PB blaster and nothing happening I decided to try the screw remover tool route.

It didnt work. Looking back, I probably had the hole drilled out too big on the top of the thing for the tool to grip, but also knowing what I do now....I dont think that would have worked still.

So, I went on with drilling out the whole thing. I chose a bit that fit the hole just right so it would drill out the sleeve and the bolt thing at the same time. It only took a bit of drilling to break the hold of the sleeve on the bolts so I was able to unscrew them instead of drilling out the entire length. Checking out what was left of the threads, it seemed those things almost bonded with the sleeves or something lol.

Anyways, my solution as to how to secure the front of the door surround/frame is that I grabbed a 4" 1/4 bolt, 2 washers, and a lock nut to replace each drilled out bolt.

Works great.

Tags
door , surround , bolt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.