Door sill protection - good or bad idea? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door sill protection - good or bad idea?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
EndoRice
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Door sill protection - good or bad idea?

Has anyone considered, or tried using some of the durable clear films for their door sills? For example, one of the popular products offered through XPel is a 3M Scotchgard film, and can be ordered in bulk. It wouldn't take much material to create a descent door sill protector.

Experience or opinions?

EndoRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
jneal
Nice....Keep Wheelin!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

mine came with the clear plastic film but was easily worn thru and the paint scratched. I bought the black plastic sill protectors and they work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew View Post
You have nothing... You are a like a culture of ketchup mold... You are completely useless to everyone in the world!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
Hey Rob, can you do me a favor and stop quoting the retard? I have him on my ignore for a reason.:thumbdown:
jneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
IAJack

I used the 3m stair tread / skateboard type tape on mine. It worked really well and provides a nice non-slip surface. Only hang up is you need to be sure to clear it when getting out or it will grab pants or bare skin!
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine has the clear protectant film/sticker on it also. It is all scratched and peeling which looks bad. It looks like clear coat is flaking off when actually the paint is still good. I need to get the plastic ones
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My clear film wore through in a few month, so I bedlined it.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
My clear film wore through in a few month, so I bedlined it.
I hit mine as well when I Herc'd the tub. I like it.
You can see it in this pic if you look close:

my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
EndoRice
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everone - good inputs. It doesn't sound like the clear film would be durable enough, which is one factor I was concerned about. The plastic ones are probably a better, and easier, approach.
EndoRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #8
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about using grip tape but being a skateboader i have torn and frayed so many pairs of jeans just by having the skateboard rub against my jeans, plus its just as worse on bare skin, if i were to go with anything i would use the plastic cover or line it.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #9
dyna

My 98 had the plastic ones, made the doors a buzzard to close due to the xtra thickness at the bottom. the xtra tightness also let to my interior door handles breaking which is typical Im told due to the plastic rod ends being overstressed You can have mine, just have to get some stickum tape to install em.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #10
TJforlife
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you do the herculiner kit (spray it), you will never be happier. It looks fantastic and is very functional. I could not be happier w/ the results. I peeled that plastic, light sanded and herc that lip so I dont have to worry about it anymore. Good luck.
TJforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
Ryuu600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman

I like where you mounted your maglite. I have the 3-D (maybe it's the 4) and I mounted mine just in front of the seat on that flat spot between the seat mounting and the bottom of the floor board. it is far enough back that I never hit it with my feet and it is low enough that when you slide the seat forward for rear access the seat slides right over the top of it.
'06 TJ X Blue w/dark khaki top, 4.0L, 6 spd, 3.73, 30x9.5R15 Wrangler GS-As mounted on Ravine wheels, Soft-top w/half doors, 4 100w ProComp Offroad lights(2 bumper, 2 windshied), Cobra 29 LTD w/4' Firestik, Custom rear storage box.
Ryuu600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #12
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu600
I like where you mounted your maglite. I have the 3-D (maybe it's the 4) and I mounted mine just in front of the seat on that flat spot between the seat mounting and the bottom of the floor board. it is far enough back that I never hit it with my feet and it is low enough that when you slide the seat forward for rear access the seat slides right over the top of it.
It's definitely nicer than having it roll around on the passenger floorboard!
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
BuckJK

What about dirt getting trapped behind the plastic door sill protector. Those aren't able to be removed for cleaning. I bought some plastic protectors for my JK, but am now thinking about not putting them on because of dirt and water getting behind it and rusting it out. Any opinions on this. Thanks.
BuckJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #14
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You are in the TJ board, I don't think any of us knows what JK door sill/protector looks like, or how it's put on and if it's gona cause problems.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
BradG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman

I've been trying to figure out a good place for my 3D. Right now I just stick it underneath the driver door sill in between the edge of the vehicle and that little rise in the floorboard that the seat sits on so it doesn't roll around, but I'd still like to actually mount it. I have the mounts but don't know where to put them. Did you have to drill for that?
2003 TJ X Silver | 31x10.50x15 BFG A/Ts | 10k front tow hooks, factory rear tow hook | 2" coil spacers | Cobra 19 with RatShack 102" stainless whip on an Arizona RockyRoad tire carrier mount | Kilby Steering Box Skid | AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders | Olympic Slider Rear Bumper w Receiver | Skid Row Engine/Oil/Tranny skid (still sitting in my living room)
BradG is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.