Door removal (With pics!!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door removal (With pics!!)

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
SpydermanTJ

Door removal (With pics!!)

Here's another tutorial.
Door removal is extremely simple. There are only two difficult parts in the process: Sometimes the hinges stick, requiring a little extra oomph to get the doors off, and the other is figuring out how YOU want to re-locate your mirrors to remain street-legal.

I have included pics on how to remove the fuse for the dome light.

STEP 1:
Once you've determined where your mirrors are going, you can start the removal process. First, locate the nut on the underside of the hinge.

STEP 2:
Remove the nut (2 per door) Righty tighty, lefty loosey!

STEP 3:
Remove the limiting strap on the inside of the door. It slides off the post on the inside of the Jeep tub. It will stay attached to the door.

STEP 4:
Lift the door out of the hinges. (Note: this step may be a little difficult at first, but once you figure out how to do it smoothly, it's a piece of cake!)

That's it!
Now, your interior light will most likely be on. There are several ways to keep it off. The easiest way is to remove the fuse.
Click here for other options.
Here are the steps:

1: Open your glovebox.

2: Slide the strap out of the track it's in, thereby releasing your glove box.

3: Remove the glove box.

4: Locate Fuse #4, bottom right fuse. (Has number "10" printed on it)

5: Pull fuse using needlenose pliers. Store the fuse someplace safe, and where you'll remember where it is for future use.

Hope this helps you guys!

Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."

Last edited by SpydermanTJ; 03-11-2009 at 02:08 PM..
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
03_X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

only some states require you to have side mirrors.. i have passed plenty of cops here in ohio and i haven't gotten pulled over for the lack of mirrors... i did check our regulations/road laws and all it said was one rear facing mirror...so you might wanna check your local law to figure this out.
03_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_X View Post
only some states require you to have side mirrors.. i have passed plenty of cops here in ohio and i haven't gotten pulled over for the lack of mirrors... i did check our regulations/road laws and all it said was one rear facing mirror...so you might wanna check your local law to figure this out.
Ok. Here in CA I think they require at least 2, not sure. I just drilled and tapped where you see them in the pic. That way I know for sure I'm legal. Different states may not require all that work... just an option. Thanks!
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
vincec
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No side mirrors for Florida
vincec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
Mike05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_X View Post
I still have Ohio plates but live in Virginia. Ohio only requires a single rear viewing mirror and it can be anywhere. Virginia requires two rear viewing mirrors that can see at least 100 yards to the rear of the vehicle on highways only. So I think you can have one mirror off highway but the law isn't clear on that. Yeah I had to look it up to get out of a ticket. Saved myself a fine in Ohio.
Mike05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Should the top hinge pin on the pass. door move with the door like the others? Mine looks like it's sealed onto the hinge and doesn't move at all.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Little Lisa
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is a stupid question, but do you know roughly how much the doors weigh? I have the full metal doors too.

I want to take them off this summer, and it'll be my first time. I don't want to have to call for help halfway through, and don't want to ask for help if I don't actually need it.
Blue Jeep Club Member #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBowie View Post
Lady Jeepers are hotter than mortal women, but perhaps a bit less pinkish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCHIAN78 View Post
Whats wrong with stock jeeps? Id rather have a stock jeep than a modded H2. :D:laugh:
Little Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
shawn1980
1999 TJ Wrangler 

on moving the mirrors do they line up with the holes in the windshield hinge? or did you have to drill new ones.
green jeep club member #122
shawn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Lisa View Post
This is a stupid question, but do you know roughly how much the doors weigh? I have the full metal doors too.

I want to take them off this summer, and it'll be my first time. I don't want to have to call for help halfway through, and don't want to ask for help if I don't actually need it.
They aren't heavy...just kinda bulky. Careful, sometimes they like to just jump off while you are trying to pull them off the hinge. Mine sorta popped out and scared me.

I then proceeded to drop it

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
corndogduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Lisa View Post

id say the full doors weigh about 70 pounds, most people can handle it but if you cant get help you really dont want to drop a full steel door on the ground like apex did
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bottom right corner of the door...I had to unbend it then I primed it. Have yet to get around to painting it...

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

i dont have any side mirrors when my doors are off...haven't been pulled over.
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Paint?? Isn't that optional on a heep?? Does 'rust' count as a color??

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
MXCarson92
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1. Mirrors required. A person may not operate on a public way a vehicle so constructed, equipped, loaded or used that the operator is prevented from having a constantly free and unobstructed view of the way immediately to the rear, unless there is attached a mirror or reflector placed and adjusted to afford the operator a clear, reflected view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance of at least 200 feet.

I'm thinking this says I only need my rearview?

2003 Chevy 2500HD | 6.0 w/ 4.10s | Keys | H2 Wheels/315 BFG's
98 TJ SE | 3.75" Rough Country | 33x12.5x15 DC Mud Country | Cobra 19DX/Firestik 4' | IPF X4 | Genright Steering Box Skid - SOLD

ΦΚΣ
My Build
MXCarson92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
ericson89
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my dad has an old MGB that only had the drivers side mirror for about a year before he added the passenger side and never had a problem. when i first ran without doors i did the same thing and never had a problem and drove by a police precinct every day to work. but best to have all three
ericson89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.