Door Lock Won't Lock/Unlock from inside - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door Lock Won't Lock/Unlock from inside

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 08-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
StevieO40oz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Door Lock Won't Lock/Unlock from inside

Started last winter - the door lock would be tough to lock and unlock from the inside. Almost broke my thumbs trying to work the switch. I didn't really bug me b/c I would lock up with the key on the outside and it kept me from locking my keys in the jeep. Now not only can I not lock or unlock from the inside, it only "half locks" using the key. Meaning I use the key, turn to the lock position, then apply a ton of pressure to the switch with my thumb to lock it the rest of the way. Any Idea how to fix this issue. I already searched it, and found these threads, but I wasn't sure if my issue could be fixed in this manner.

Thanks

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/door-lock-jams-704772/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/driver-door-lock-gets-stuck-lock-position-765344/

StevieO40oz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You found my post!

To give you an update on my situation. I lengthened the rod from the mechanism to the lock and that fixed it temporarily. Then I replaced the clips that hold the rod in. For me, it looks like I will have to replace the entire mechanism.

I installed power locks and keyless entry so I can over come that a bit, but it is still annoying that the manual switch jams so badly.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
StevieO40oz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

bump - forum wants 10 characters
Unread 08-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
bluox3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

jeeps have door locks? sounds like something is binding from corrosion. try taking things apparts and removing rods to see at what point things are hard to move
bluox3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
StevieO40oz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Took the door apart and sprayed a ton of WD-40 on the mech. Taking door off wasn't so bad, and the clip on the window crank was kind of tough. It looked like rock salt from the road during the winter time seeped down the window and drenched the mech. Works perfect now
Unread 08-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Lube everything up in there - and while the door skin is off, play with the mechanisms and see how they work - it's pretty obvious - and sometimes it helps to do a little manipulation on the bends on the rods so everything works perfectly.

Did that to mine and she's like new, without buying a single part

Free fixes are the best
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Another thing you might do to prevent recurrence. Do not allow a passenger to pull the door handle out while you are pushing the lock button to the unlock position. Or if your passenger reaches over to unlock your door from the inside, do not pull on the handle untill they have moved their hand away from the inside door lock.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.