Door Lock Cylinder Interchange, Re-Key? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door Lock Cylinder Interchange, Re-Key?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
DusterRT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Door Lock Cylinder Interchange, Re-Key?

One of my door locks is buggared up from an attempted break in..the dealer wants $45 for one of those little suckers!

Anyone happen to know what the interchange is on these, and if a lock from a salvage yard can be re-keyed to match the rest? I've got an '06 if it matters. I would like to think something like that would be pretty universal across the various models..though most seem to have the locks integrated with the door handle these days.

Thanks for any input!!
Travis

DusterRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bump for you
Unread 01-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
orangetj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

you should be able to but the dealer will still have to rekey it
Unread 01-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
carpekd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think the $45 wouldn't be that bad of a price...
carpekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
.Jch.
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpekd
I think the $45 wouldn't be that bad of a price...
I didn't think it was that bad either, considering for some dealers to make you a new key its like 85.
[U]OllllllllO[/U][/B]
[SIZE="1"]2006 Unlimited[/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE]
[center][B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #2006
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/LJ_Owners"]LJ Owners, join the group and click here.[/URL][/B][/center]
.Jch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
DusterRT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TJ
you should be able to but the dealer will still have to rekey it
The dealer I went to said they come completely disassembled and they can't/won't key them so I'd have to go to a locksmith as well, likely doubling the price but I haven't checked. Maybe it's something I could tackle myself unless it requires specialized tooling.

As far as the price, I was thinking a pick-n-pull might not even charge for something that small (ie, snag it out of an unusable door since they'd probably want to sell a whole door rather than parts).
DusterRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DusterRT
The dealer I went to said they come completely disassembled and they can't/won't key them so I'd have to go to a locksmith as well, likely doubling the price but I haven't checked. Maybe it's something I could tackle myself unless it requires specialized tooling.

As far as the price, I was thinking a pick-n-pull might not even charge for something that small (ie, snag it out of an unusable door since they'd probably want to sell a whole door rather than parts).
Your dealer is retarded, find another one. I've taken removed lock cylinders into my dealer in Irvine several times to get them re-keyed because I'm helping someone swap on full or half doors.
Unread 01-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't looked at the type of locks the wranglers have but..,

If you can see the tumblers from the outside of the cylinder, then when you stick the key in, take a grinder like a dremel or something and grind down the tumblers that are sticking up. This forces the lock to mold to the key. Worked great with Toyota locks.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
motobob13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know if it is the same on the jeep tumblers? Heck I could probably even do that!
motobob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobob13
Does anyone know if it is the same on the jeep tumblers? Heck I could probably even do that!
How do you know which one is the correct height to grind the others down to? And, what if one doesn't come up high enough?
Unread 01-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
HowIRoll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It is easy to pull the lock cylinders out, you could do it yourself in about an hour. I switched the doors from one jeep to another and swapped them out in the living room. Just take the panel off and it is pretty self explanatory, getting it re-keyed shouldn't be a big deal at all. hth

http://longhornfabshop.com/
HowIRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When I bought my Jeep, the passenger side lock was messed up, what's it take to get the lock cylinder out, and to reinstall? Would by nice to be able to unlock that side rather than having to go through drivers side all the time.
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #13
gudoldboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
How do you know which one is the correct height to grind the others down to? And, what if one doesn't come up high enough?
It doesnt matter if the pins dont come up high enough.. The ones that extend above the cylinder are the ones that matter... I worked in different stealership parts depts for years.. We swapped out pins all the time (no charge) and never worried about short pins..

[QUOTE=Keelentime;5197679]just ordered my new bikini and bra....

Thank god this is a jeep forum, or that would have sounded a bit fruity :rofl:[/QUOTE]
gudoldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 02:07 AM   #14
TNG97
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Put the key in and you will know which ones are too high...

Does anyone know what year they changed the GM style key (single side) to the double sided key?
TNG97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #15
tsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

somewhere in 92 on the key change i think
tsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cylinder , door , lock

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.