JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Door Lock Cylinder Interchange, Re-Key? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/door-lock-cylinder-interchange-re-key-507036/)

DusterRT 01-13-2008 01:33 PM

Door Lock Cylinder Interchange, Re-Key?

One of my door locks is buggared up from an attempted break in..the dealer wants $45 for one of those little suckers!

Anyone happen to know what the interchange is on these, and if a lock from a salvage yard can be re-keyed to match the rest? I've got an '06 if it matters. I would like to think something like that would be pretty universal across the various models..though most seem to have the locks integrated with the door handle these days.

Thanks for any input!!
Travis

JEEP97TJ 01-13-2008 04:28 PM

bump for you

orangetj05 01-13-2008 05:00 PM

you should be able to but the dealer will still have to rekey it

carpekd 01-13-2008 05:30 PM

I think the $45 wouldn't be that bad of a price...

.Jch. 01-13-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpekd
I think the $45 wouldn't be that bad of a price...

I didn't think it was that bad either, considering for some dealers to make you a new key its like 85.

DusterRT 01-13-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04TJ
you should be able to but the dealer will still have to rekey it

The dealer I went to said they come completely disassembled and they can't/won't key them so I'd have to go to a locksmith as well, likely doubling the price but I haven't checked. Maybe it's something I could tackle myself unless it requires specialized tooling.

As far as the price, I was thinking a pick-n-pull might not even charge for something that small (ie, snag it out of an unusable door since they'd probably want to sell a whole door rather than parts).

mrblaine 01-13-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DusterRT
The dealer I went to said they come completely disassembled and they can't/won't key them so I'd have to go to a locksmith as well, likely doubling the price but I haven't checked. Maybe it's something I could tackle myself unless it requires specialized tooling.

As far as the price, I was thinking a pick-n-pull might not even charge for something that small (ie, snag it out of an unusable door since they'd probably want to sell a whole door rather than parts).

Your dealer is retarded, find another one. I've taken removed lock cylinders into my dealer in Irvine several times to get them re-keyed because I'm helping someone swap on full or half doors.

dz1087 01-13-2008 07:59 PM

I haven't looked at the type of locks the wranglers have but..,

If you can see the tumblers from the outside of the cylinder, then when you stick the key in, take a grinder like a dremel or something and grind down the tumblers that are sticking up. This forces the lock to mold to the key. Worked great with Toyota locks.

motobob13 01-13-2008 08:02 PM

Does anyone know if it is the same on the jeep tumblers? Heck I could probably even do that!

mrblaine 01-13-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motobob13
Does anyone know if it is the same on the jeep tumblers? Heck I could probably even do that!

How do you know which one is the correct height to grind the others down to? And, what if one doesn't come up high enough? :rofl:

HowIRoll 01-13-2008 08:58 PM

It is easy to pull the lock cylinders out, you could do it yourself in about an hour. I switched the doors from one jeep to another and swapped them out in the living room. Just take the panel off and it is pretty self explanatory, getting it re-keyed shouldn't be a big deal at all. hth

JEEP97TJ 01-13-2008 09:17 PM

When I bought my Jeep, the passenger side lock was messed up, what's it take to get the lock cylinder out, and to reinstall? Would by nice to be able to unlock that side rather than having to go through drivers side all the time.

gudoldboy 01-13-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine
How do you know which one is the correct height to grind the others down to? And, what if one doesn't come up high enough? :rofl:

It doesnt matter if the pins dont come up high enough.. The ones that extend above the cylinder are the ones that matter... I worked in different stealership parts depts for years.. We swapped out pins all the time (no charge) and never worried about short pins..

TNG97 02-17-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblaine (Post 4671188)

Put the key in and you will know which ones are too high...

Does anyone know what year they changed the GM style key (single side) to the double sided key?

tsc 02-17-2008 09:47 AM

somewhere in 92 on the key change i think

The time now is 07:53 AM.