Door laws, state to state - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door laws, state to state

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-15-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
idencustom
2013 JK Wrangler 

Door laws, state to state

I did a seach, and could not find a definitive answer on whether its okay to take the doors off in my state or other states for that matter. Does anyone have a link?

idencustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
kdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by idencustom
I did a seach, and could not find a definitive answer on whether its okay to take the doors off in my state or other states for that matter. Does anyone have a link?
Most states and localities have pretty liberal requirements for on road requirements, usually having to do with rear facing mirrors, lights, etc.

Basically, you could probably drive a bare chassis with a seat, seat belt, head and tail lights, turn signals and one rear facing mirror. Some states might require a windshield (most probably).

I don't think doors are required by statute in most states, but my suggestion would be to give a call to the highway patrol and ask them, that will give you state law on the matter, which would, in general, also be adopted locally.

My .02.
Cragar Soft 8's, High Tech Retreading OTR Muds, New Front End
What I Do: MT Web Guy
kdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2004, 09:40 AM   #3
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know in Illinois, you need one rear facing mirror. SO doorless is ok...

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'd be willing to bet that there is no state in which going doorless is illegal, so long as you meet other requirements, like mirror(s). Someone said it in another post, and it was a perfect analogy..where do you get doors for your motorcycle??
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #5
blupupher

Quote:
It would help if you say what state your in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmn
I'd be willing to bet that there is no state in which going doorless is illegal, so long as you meet other requirements, like mirror(s). Someone said it in another post, and it was a perfect analogy..where do you get doors for your motorcycle??

Not the same thing, a whole different set of laws for motorcycles. No seatbelts or windshields (on most) motorcycles. But for most states, so long as you have the mirrors on the Jeep, your good to go.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 07:05 AM   #6
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Someone a while back was saying that their state required eye protection, working lights, seatbelts and one rear facing mirror. So I guess you could drive with windshield folded down, no doors, one mirror, and goggles.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
lunatik4banger

I don't really understand it either. I am in PA, and I was pulled over for having my doors off. The cop told me that if it was on the vehicle at the time of manufacture then it is required for driving on the road. I looked it up in the statutes and all I could find was a line that basically said the same thing. On the other hand, I still see jeeps with out doors.
lunatik4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
SpitNine

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatik4banger
I don't really understand it either. I am in PA, and I was pulled over for having my doors off. The cop told me that if it was on the vehicle at the time of manufacture then it is required for driving on the road. I looked it up in the statutes and all I could find was a line that basically said the same thing. On the other hand, I still see jeeps with out doors.
Would that also mean that if your Jeep came with a hard or soft top that you cannot take it off (at least in PA)?
That would mean buying a Jeep in PA with NO top and then adding one when you got home. Also would mean carrying factory window sticker which proved Jeep was originally purchased with NO top. Same thing with doors.
Thanks.
Garvin Wilderness Front and Rear Bumpers
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
BunnyHunter

If you send me your address and jeep info, I will write you a receipt that you baught the jeep from ME without doors.

And what if you're one of those guys who builds your own jeep? Can anything go at that point? I mean, YOU are the manufacturer.

Anyone know the laws in NJ?

I just assumed that I "had" to buy the replace-a-mirrors....
Maybe I don't?

It's my daily drive. If I roll it, I'm *&^%$#ed.
BunnyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:26 AM   #10
lunatik4banger

These are all the questions that ran through my mind as well. I think that the cop just wanted to assert his authority and at the time I looked like a good target. The law he quoted didn't really make sense to me, even after I read it. The law is so vague, it would depend on the courts interpretation. In the end, he didn't give me a ticket and it was starting to get cold outside anyway, so I put the doors back on. I will take them off again this summer, and if I get a ticket I'll go to court. If not for anything more than to find out what the law is.
lunatik4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:00 AM   #11
wile_e_mopar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It isn't a safety thing, I know I have seen it, either in a manual or on a sticker that the top and doors are to keep out the elements, not to protect passengers in the event of a rollover. So I say take them off.
wile_e_mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:15 AM   #12
wvspecialkvw

Crotch rockets are legal with no doors, why shouldnt jeeps be...
and if you get blindsided, hopefully your lifted enough for the Honda Civic to fly right under
wvspecialkvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #13
doorocks
Web Wheeler

Quote:

There is not a door law in any of the States. There are however, mirror laws and seatbelt (installed not used) laws.

MD requires 2 rear mirrors. So mirror movers are needed.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/highways.html

Steve

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #14
supertj4415

I'm in Missouri and a buddy of mine went to inspection with the doors off (couldnt tell ya why lol) but he failed because of no driver side rear view mirror.

So im guesing thats all thats required here in MO

FUTURE MODS:
44 front/9" rear w/ 4.88s and ARB

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/507150][SIZE=3]My Jeep Pics[/SIZE][/URL]

JEEPS won a war....your Honda mowed my lawn
supertj4415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #15
Avor
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shanks
Someone a while back was saying that their state required eye protection, working lights, seatbelts and one rear facing mirror. So I guess you could drive with windshield folded down, no doors, one mirror, and goggles.

Jim
Yup! I can put the window down and wear goggles here in TX and be fine.

I wouldn't do it though

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.