Door latch issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door latch issue

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 07-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Hunterchuckd
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Door latch issue

I have searched for a similar problem but did not find what I am experiencing.

I have only had my Jeep a few weeks, and when i bought it the doors opened, closed, and locked just fine. Now, the passenger door is having issues closing. Sometimes, it will latch just fine, but most of the time you slam it and the latch doesn't "catch". I have messed around with the latch itself, and sprayed wd40 on everything, but the problem is still there. The latch is black plastic and I am assuming maybe a spring or something is weak?

What's weird is that if you just keep slamming it, on the 3rd try or so it will catch.

Help?

Hunterchuckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think I would take the door apart and see what is catching an causing problems

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
leaSe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

hm; not quite sure i understand what you're trying to say.. but my passenger door for my TJ is tricky as well; it wont open from the outside. the part inside the door that clicks for it to open is faulty. so idk if thats the problem you're having but i haven't found a solution for mine other than to open it from the inside for passengers and hold the key all the way to the left and pull open..
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you have trouble opening it then you likely have a linkage that's come loose. If you have trouble getting it to close, then you probably have something in the latch that's frozen up or sticking. If everything seems to be working properly, then it might just be a misalignment. Door latches aren't infallible...some need adjustment from time to time, I've found.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Hunterchuckd
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly; it is a problem closing not opening (I fix the problems opening by taking the door apart).

I think sundowner is probably right and it is misaligned. I will try to see what i can do to help "realign" it. The little black plastic thing in the door doesn't seem to line up properly with the metal latch on the frame. However, what is weird is that it will eventually latch if you just keep slamming it (which can't be good for it).
Hunterchuckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Latch

Try some PB Blaster. Spray the latch area very good. Try opening and closing the door several times after that. WD 40 is not really much of a lubricant.
WV-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door , door latch , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.