Door Jamb Switch for Interior Lighting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door Jamb Switch for Interior Lighting

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
seadoons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Door Jamb Switch for Interior Lighting

I am trying to replace the factory door jamb swith that turns the interior lights on / off when you open / close the door. I have a '97 wrangler. I have found the "replacement" part and auto parts stores and the dealership - all of them are the exact same part and don't work for me. The switch will function - meaning I can plug it in and then push the button and it will turn the light on and off, but when I install it in the door jamb and try to close the door the door will actually push it out of the jamb.

Long story short - the switches that I have been sold are too long and don't work.

Has anybody else replaced theirs? Maybe there is a universal one out there - can you point me in the right direction?

seadoons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did you try your local Jeep dealer?
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
seadoons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yep - went to the dealer. They sold me the part for like $7.00 but it is the exact same design as what I have found online and it is too "long" - meaning that the door doesn't push the button to turn the lights off, instead it pushes the entire switch to the side and doesn't turn anything off. It is very weird since all of the online, retailer, and dealer sources all want to sell me the exact same part for my application yet it doesn't work.

I might have to find a generic one...
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

They are supposed to be self adjusting for length. You are doing soemthing wrong.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
seadoons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting. Can anybody else shed some light on this self adjusting feature? It seemed to be one solid piece of moulded plastic but the self-adjusting feature seems more plausable than everybody having the incorrect part. I tried messing with it but could not find a way for it to adjust. Good thing I have already returned all of the parts I have purchased.
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
seadoons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Alright just figured it out. For anybody reading this post in the future - they are self adjustable. Thanks again.
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
tpeerson
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadoons View Post
... For anybody reading this post in the future - they are self adjustable. Thanks again.
THANK YOU... it's been driving me NUTS!

BTW... "I'm from the future."
tpeerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
seadoons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm glad I was able to help!! Such a simple repair took me way too long to figure out!
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
Danegerous
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tell us how they are adjustable, won't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
I once slipped with a rotary wire brush that burned through my jeans and left a very nice deep gouge in my leg.

If it had been up a little higher, I'd have gone from a rooster to a hen.
Danegerous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.