Door Jamb Switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door Jamb Switch

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
bmr0455
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Door Jamb Switch

I am replacing the door jamb switch for the interior lights on my 2000 TJ wrangler. I know that this topic has been covered before but since I have now broken three of these I figured I would just ask what I am doing wrong. I broke the original one putting the doors back on in the dark (it was going to rain). Then I got a replacement from the local auto parts store and tried installing it, and broke it while trying to hammer it back into the hole in the frame. Got a second replacement from the auto parts store and tried to install it this am. I got it into the frame with out any problems however, when I went to gently shut the door (to allow it to self adjust) it snapped off. What am I doing wrong? How to you get it to self adjust without snapping as you are closing the door? (It didn't shift to the side it snapped into several pieces) Any help would be much appreciated as I am getting really tired of buying the same part every other day this week!!

bmr0455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
roosr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pictures?? Not seeing how this is happening unless it's installed improperly.
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
bmr0455
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I didn't take pictures and since I broke the last one that the parts store had in stock I need to wait for the replacement to come in. It all seems to fit properly, the collar is flush and square with the jamb. Just the ribbed sleeve sticks out about an inch instead of the half inch that it should and, as I said, I've read on here that it should be self adjusting as soon as you close the door. Other than the length it all looks like it should.
bmr0455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I always tike mine out to kill the light when doorless, never had a problem.
When you get your new one, iirc, the pin is threaded in the collar, try adjusting/screwing it in before you instal it and see if that helps...

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Yarney05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I changed one of mine a couple months ago. They are self adjusting so all you should have to do is get it in the hole as straight as you can and then close the door. It will be tight when you close the door but it needs the force to set the pin to the right depth.
Yarney05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Could just be cheap parts too.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
bryanintowson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain. I did this a few weeks ago on my 02 Sport.

Here's a quick blow by blow of what I did:

1. Threaded the pigtail through the hole and plugged it up to the switch.

2. Went bonkers trying to get the switch to go into the hole using "hand pressure only" as the instructions said to do.

3. Tried using a good solid door slam to seat the switch. Fail.

4. Pulled the switch out and used a set of channel locks to reset the self adjusting ring.

5. Re-plug and push the switch back into the hole till maybe half of it is seated.

6. Use a flat head screwdriver (widest head you have) and apply heavy even pressure (no hammering) to the side of the switch that is unseated. I had to use all my upper body strength AND lean into it to get it to seat properly. Make sure to place the head of the screwdriver ACROSS the little gap between the switch and the self adjusting ring. Don't put the screwdriver into that gap as it WILL break that ring.

7. Close the door firmly and you will hear the self adjusting ring ratchet into place. You may have to repeat step 6 once or twice to really get it fully seated as mine popped out more than once after I closed the door. I had to reset the ring with channel locks twice.

8. Wipe the sweat from your brow and curse the PO repeatedly and creatively.

I can snap a photo of this if this was not as clear as I hope it is. The most important thing in this procedure is to resist the urge to use a hammer or hammering action.
bryanintowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
ysalriz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I put a small socket over the switch so that it would contact the base and gave it a not-so-gentle tap. You can use a deep socket or shallow, I used a deep to get it into the hole and a shallow to knock the self adjusting pin inwards a little bit. It stuck out too far and I didn't want to risk breaking it..worked perfectly for me.
ysalriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
bryanintowson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A socket?

Well now I'm going to go bang my fool head against the table for a bit.
bryanintowson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.