Door/glovebox/center console key - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Door/glovebox/center console key

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
bigdavepz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Door/glovebox/center console key

I just bought a 99 wrangler 4.0L, it only came with one key (ignition). This key doesn't fit in any of the door locks or the glove box or center console lock.

Did this year model come with seperate keys for ignition and locks? Is there a way to get a replacement door lock key without having to change out the lock cylinders?

bigdavepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My '02 uses 1 key to fit all. Sounds like your ignition switch may have be changed out.

The door lock cylinders can be re-keyed to match your current key. Search you tube videos.

BUT, most do not lock there doors, this is the easiest way to get your soft top and/or soft windows cut and slashed.

If I have my full doors on, I not only don't lock them, I roll the windows down.
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
BUT, most do not lock there doors, this is the easiest way to get your soft top and/or soft windows cut and slashed.

All the more reason why we need the glove box and center console to lock, no? I never lock my door with my soft top on. It's sort of like locking your tent. However, I do lock the glove box and/or the center console (depending on what's being stored in there).
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't tried, but the stock console doesn't seem to hard to get into if locked.
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
cudruln
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The glove box and center console are not hard to get into. The locks are there for the honest people. As far as locking the doors with the soft top it does not matter either way, I seriously doubt a thief will check to see if the door is locked. But I personally leave mine unlocked also, because I can only hope they don't slash my top or windows and take whatever useless junk they want.
cudruln is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.