Doh!! Looks like it's time for some Nth° Shock Shifters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Doh!! Looks like it's time for some Nth° Shock Shifters

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
wayoflife

Doh!! Looks like it's time for some Nth° Shock Shifters

as the story goes, i was driving down and hit a small bump in the road. there nothing special about this bump and it wasn't even that big. anyway, when i hit it there was and audible thump in the rear that kinda sounded like what i though was my trackbar hitting my gastank skidplate (something that hasn't happend before). needless to say, my wife looks at me and asks "what was that?" so, i pull over into a parking lot and found this....

anyway, i took a couple of bungie cords, strapped my shock up and out of the way and headed home. much to my surprise, the ride of my jeep wasn't adversely effected by the break. i have since removed the shock and can i still make my way around town without any problems.

so, what went wrong? i'm not exactly sure but my best guess is that there must have been a crack in the axle mount caused from bottoming out my shocks before installing air bags in my coils (yes, i like to load up my roof rack). after some time and fatigue, it finally gave out on something simple.

what will i do now? well, i've already talked to northridge4x4 and have purchased some nth degree shock shifters and a set of new walker evans shocks. the only thing i have to do now is find a good welder in my neck of the woods to hack off the existing mounts and weld on the new ones.

oh well, i guess i'll have some more write-ups coming soon :roll:

wayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayoflife
as the story goes, i was driving down and hit a small bump in the road. there nothing special about this bump and it wasn't even that big. anyway, when i hit it there was and audible thump in the rear that kinda sounded like what i though was my trackbar hitting my gastank skidplate (something that hasn't happend before). needless to say, my wife looks at me and asks "what was that?" so, i pull over into a parking lot and found this....

anyway, i took a couple of bungie cords, strapped my shock up and out of the way and headed home. much to my surprise, the ride of my jeep wasn't adversely effected by the break. i have since removed the shock and can i still make my way around town without any problems.

so, what went wrong? i'm not exactly sure but my best guess is that there must have been a crack in the axle mount caused from bottoming out my shocks before installing air bags in my coils (yes, i like to load up my roof rack). after some time and fatigue, it finally gave out on something simple.

what will i do now? well, i've already talked to northridge4x4 and have purchased some nth degree shock shifters and a set of new walker evans shocks. the only thing i have to do now is find a good welder in my neck of the woods to hack off the existing mounts and weld on the new ones.

oh well, i guess i'll have some more write-ups coming soon :roll:
You would have been much better suited to forego the extensions. They increase the leverage against the stock mount and rapidly decrease it's lifespan.
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
wayoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
You would have been much better suited to forego the extensions. They increase the leverage against the stock mount and rapidly decrease it's lifespan.
yeah, hindsight is always 20/20. for those of you out there who are reading this thread, please learn from my mistakes.
Unread 02-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
moitura

So what is the better solution for lifting your jeep? Buy the shock relocators and decrease your shock mount life or install your shocks upside down and thus (I think) decreasing your shocks life?
Unread 02-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
wayoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by moitura
So what is the better solution for lifting your jeep? Buy the shock relocators and decrease your shock mount life or install your shocks upside down and thus (I think) decreasing your shocks life?
i used to run my DT8000's can up and they worked great for a while.... but then they developed an annoying dead spot and basically did nothing for dampening except for big hits. kinda gave a bouncy feel to the ride that i didn't care for. i you can guess, i got the relocators so that i could mount my cans down again and that helped out a lot but most likely contributed to the breaking of my mount as mrblaine pointed out. i suppose you have a couple other options you can consider:

1. cheap solution: grind your lower spring perch to prevent your shock can from making contact.

2. expensive solution: buy shocks specifically designed to be mounted can up like blistein 5150's, edelbrock or the like.

either way, i think you'd be better off than going the route i went.
Unread 02-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
stevelentz

If you want to drive inland a bit there is a guy named Joe who owns Sexton Welding, in Orange, that does great work and he's a wheeler so i'm sure he would help you out. I don't have his number off hand, but i'm sure you could look it up.
stevelentz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
Electric Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayoflife
1. cheap solution: grind your lower spring perch to prevent your shock can from making contact.
I cut mine with a cutoff wheel on an die grinder. Chopped mine off following along the brake hardlines.

Oh, and I also un DT-3000s upside down, too. I was planning on flipping them back can-down, but never bothered. Been running with them can-up for a couple of years and don't notice any ill effects from it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.