Does my ignition key have "chip" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Does my ignition key have "chip"

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
tshuelsman
1978 CJ7 

Does my ignition key have "chip"

Im looking to get a spare key made and I was told that my key had a "chip" and it would be $60-90 to get a key made. WTF?

I had an mid 90's Chevy that had two keys, and the ignition key had a visible chip on it but I haven't heard of this?

Will a key cut from Lowes or Ace Hardware work?

I have a 06 Wrangler LJ

Unread 11-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
brunosplace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What color is the head of your key? Black = non-sentry key (standard), gray = sentry key (has RFID chip) If you have the black key, any copy will work. If you have the gray key, you'll need to buy additional keys from the dealer. If you currently have 2 keys, you can program the new one yourself. Instructions are in the owners manual.
Big tires, done right, are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Deal with it, or don't go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnjeep View Post
I live in the land where they salt cure roadkill.
97 Jeep TJ Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 3" BDS Lift (SOLD)
98 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L, Auto, Stock Totaled, parted out and scrapped
96 Jeep XJ Sport, parted out and scrapped

Tummy Tuck without a body lift. Finished!!

Superior Axle & Gear TJ/XJ Dana 44 Discovery Shafts (DC45 kit) for sale
brunosplace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

like said above, if your key has a gray rubber head, you have a chip. you already have to have 2 working keys to program additional keys yourself.

i have gotten blanks off ebay for $12 bucks, gotten them cut at lowes and programmed them myself. glad i did it because i already have lost one of the 2 i had to start with.
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
ramos
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i can program the key myself? i only have one and want a spare. but so hesitant to get it from the dealership to get raped. wondering if i disable that feature?
ramos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you need a locksmith with the drbiii tool or the dealer to cut you a new key, if your key is gray.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
bconrad5150
2010 JK Wrangler 

Grey = Chip. When I bought mine in 2002 the dealer told me $200 bucks to get a new one. I do not know if that is the true price or not. I kept mine close, and I still have the original two keys.
bconrad5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconrad5150 View Post
Grey = Chip. When I bought mine in 2002 the dealer told me $200 bucks to get a new one. I do not know if that is the true price or not. I kept mine close, and I still have the original two keys.
bconrad, i was lucky enough to get 2 original "chipped" keys when i got my tj used. now is the time to buy 1 or 2 blanks of ebay, have them cut and program them yourself, before you find yourself in an expensive pickle.

2! 1999-2006 Jeep Wrangler Transponder keys - eBay (item 310212004082 end time Dec-02-10 11:02:24 PST)

or

99 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 JEEP WRANGLER TRANSPONDER KEY - eBay (item 370456365056 end time Nov-23-10 18:16:08 PST)
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
bluestar51

I know this is an older thread, but it had info in it that I was looking for.

No wonder my car wasn't going into programming mode - of the two keys I had, only one was a chip key (the gray one). The other one, being black, has no chip - learned that here! Thanks. Good thing I didn't spend a lot of money on the new chip key blank - got it on eBay for $7.45 including shipping.

So it looks like I can just make a bunch of mechanical keys, but 2jhanna said:

Quote:
bconrad, i was lucky enough to get 2 original "chipped" keys when i got my tj used. now is the time to buy 1 or 2 blanks of ebay, have them cut and program them yourself, before you find yourself in an expensive pickle.
What would be the pickle I'd get into by using a non-chip key vs. a chip key?

I could take the blank chip key I bought to the dealer and pay them $40 or so to program it for me, after which I can do my own programming. But I just don't know what the advantages of the chip key are.

Can you help me understand this?

Don't know if it matters, but there is no alarm system on my car. Oh, and it's a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Silver. Just bought. Love it. First Jeep.

Thanks in advance,
- Kat
bluestar51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the SKIM system, when using the non-chipped key, the Jeep will start but will die in short order. The little key on the dash will flash and you may or may not be able to get it restarted. If it starts and drives with the black key now, odds are someone didn't know what they were doing and just bought a chipped key, had it cut and went from there.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
If you have the SKIM system, when using the non-chipped key, the Jeep will start but will die in short order. The little key on the dash will flash and you may or may not be able to get it restarted. If it starts and drives with the black key now, odds are someone didn't know what they were doing and just bought a chipped key, had it cut and went from there.
Exactly.
Unread 08-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Non chipped keys will get you in the door tho remember if your grey key is inside?? But will not let you run the Jeep
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
bluestar51

Hmmm, confused.

I don't know what a SKIM system is, or how to find out if my car has one installed. There is not a theft deterrent system installed in my car, if that's relevent.

I had liked the idea that the gray key is chipped and the black key is not, because it explained why I couldn't get my car into programming mode. If in fact the black key IS a sentry key, even if inadvertent, I should be able to get into programming.

Another little wrinkle is that if I have a transponder fob in close proximity, the fob will send the signal that allows a mechanical key to function as a chipped key. I read that elsewhere on this forum.

If anyone can lend any clarity to my confusion, I'd so appreciate it.

- Kat

Last edited by bluestar51; 08-29-2012 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Add clarifying phrase.
Unread 08-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar51 View Post
Hmmm, confused.

I don't know what a SKIM system is. There is not a theft deterrent system installed in my car, if that's relevent.

I had liked the idea that the gray key is chipped and the black key is not, because it explained why I couldn't get my car into programming mode. If in fact the black key IS a sentry key, even if inadvertent, I should be able to get into programming.

Another little wrinkle is that if I have a transponder fob in close proximity, the fob will send the signal that allows a mechanical key to function as a chipped key. I read that elsewhere on this forum.

If anyone can lend any clarity to my confusion, I'd so appreciate it.

- Kat
Does your TJ crank and run when the black key is used and the other gray key (and key fob ???) are not in the area ?
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
bluestar51

My goodness, maybe the mystery is solved.

I'd phoned my Jeep dealer a couple of days who had looked up my VIN and told me a chipped key was required.

Now I've found out that the SKIM module was an option in 1999 - and after a little digging in my owner's manual, it appears there would be a sentry light that shows up when key is turned to 'on' position if a SKIM module is installed.

There is no sentry light on the instrument panel, from which I infer there is no SKIM module installed. Obviously I can't program a module that isn't there. (I believe I confirmed this by being able to start my car with an unprogrammed chip key with no other keys or fobs anywhere nearby).

But why on earth the dealer led me to believe otherwise is beyond me.

- Kat

Last edited by bluestar51; 08-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Sandhara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

$$$$$$$$$ thats why. and glad to hear you got it figured out.

Im sorry, some times i drink and post stupid comments.
Sandhara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.