Does Height Of Spacer Effect Ride Quality? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Does Height Of Spacer Effect Ride Quality?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
applerock
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Does Height Of Spacer Effect Ride Quality?

Curious if the same spacer material and brand will ride different depending on whether it's a 1.5", 2", 2.25" or 2.5" spacer?
I would like to compare apple to apples here. Like comparable Poly, Delrin or Aluminum spacers, just different heights.
I'm also assuming the same (hydro) shock is used. Say a (the proper length) Skyjacker Hydro for an example.

applerock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
mrjeep03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i'm new to the jeep thing, but the jeep i got sagged in the front by a long ways, it has a heavy duty bumper and winch, i put on 1.75" spacers on top of the coils, just the fronts. i have noticed a smoother ride. the spacers are that hard black plastic, it raised the front and leveled the jeep...but i noticed that when backing up slowly the rear driveline seems like its binding, other than that, it seems ok...
mrjeep03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Material doesn't matter. The higher you go, the higher the angle of the control arms, the smaller the wheelbase, and the more axle offset. If all you're doing is spacers and shocks, I wouldn't recommend going over 2" or so.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
applerock
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I measured (with 265/75/16 tires) that I have 3" from tire to fender flair in front and 4.5" in the rear. (stock)

Also put the jack under the bumpers and lifted to different heights to get an idea what my TJ would look like with different lifts.

Like the look (and lack of issues) of a 1.25-1.5" spacers in the rear, and 2" or 2.25" spacer's in the front. Figure that'll reduce my 1.5" difference to .75" between front/rear.

Original plan, this spring, after much research here, was to put on a 2" BDS lift/shock combo for around $390 shipped. However, do to recent financial "setbacks and obligations" I have reduced my budget. (at least for the time being) Found some Poly and Delrin spacers on a few ebay venders for pretty cheap, like $25 per pair. Figure I'll get some Skyjacker Hydros (with the rebate they've got going on) and for $155, I'll be all set. I have no issues now with steering, handling or lack-of-power with stock suspension/265/75/16 combo.

Would the 1,5"/2.25" combo be too much lift in the front?
Or would I be better off sticking to the 1.25"/2" combo?

I'm, not too concerned about the rear. Either 1.25" or 1.5" seems like it's work...with no issues between tires and springs and/or perches.
It's the front that concerns me a little more. 2.25" may be pushing it. Yes, no? Imped suggested 2" max. Does this still ring true after my description?

(Since some of you may ask) I may be considering (depending on $$$) a front bumper for next summer. The Besttop Highrock. That should lower the front a tad. I think it's like 80-85 lbs.
applerock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerock View Post
I measured (with 265/75/16 tires) that I have 3" from tire to fender flair in front and 4.5" in the rear. (stock)

Also put the jack under the bumpers and lifted to different heights to get an idea what my TJ would look like with different lifts.

Like the look (and lack of issues) of a 1.25-1.5" spacers in the rear, and 2" or 2.25" spacer's in the front. Figure that'll reduce my 1.5" difference to .75" between front/rear.

Original plan, this spring, after much research here, was to put on a 2" BDS lift/shock combo for around $390 shipped. However, do to recent financial "setbacks and obligations" I have reduced my budget. (at least for the time being) Found some Poly and Delrin spacers on a few ebay venders for pretty cheap, like $25 per pair. Figure I'll get some Skyjacker Hydros (with the rebate they've got going on) and for $155, I'll be all set. I have no issues now with steering, handling or lack-of-power with stock suspension/265/75/16 combo.

Would the 1,5"/2.25" combo be too much lift in the front?
Or would I be better off sticking to the 1.25"/2" combo?

I'm, not too concerned about the rear. Either 1.25" or 1.5" seems like it's work...with no issues between tires and springs and/or perches.
It's the front that concerns me a little more. 2.25" may be pushing it. Yes, no? Imped suggested 2" max. Does this still ring true after my description?
I ran the 2.25" spacers in the rear and 3" springs up front and it sat perfect.I had no vibe issues and needed nothing else, but longer shocks.I lift all my Jeeps 3/4" higher in the front and 1" higher if I have a heavy bumper or winch
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I currently have 3" springs in front and 2" spacers in rear. I think it balances out well. I'll eventually swap those spacers for new springs in the back but expect to stick with the 1" difference. I don't have a lot of bumper weight upfront (Savvy) but do have a winch on the bumper and York under the hood which add weight.

Tags
lift , spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.