Dodge Alternator to 97 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dodge Alternator to 97 TJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
clerical12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dodge Alternator to 97 TJ

My alternator just died the other day so I ordered a 2002 Dodge Durango 160 amp alternator figuring it was the perfect fit. When I got it i found out I was wrong. It will bolt up fine but I can't find any literature online how to wire this up and I am a total noob on most of this stuff. I searched throughout the forum and online for this and there are a few people who have done this but I still can't seem to find the right resources. Here are a few pictures of the new alternator and the TJ wiring. Thanks in advance

clerical12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice idea, I want to see this result.
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
clerical12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I assume the cable from the battery goes to the big gold bolt, and I should probably upgrade that cable. It looks as though to the wiring harness there is a large black cable and two smaller ones. Is the black wire a ground? And does it go to the two outer prongs, while the two smaller wires go to the middle prongs on the harness and those would then go into the plug on the alternator.

Ok, just found on another forum, the two smaller wires are a green/orange wire, and a solid green. Solid green goes to the 2nd position in the plug, while the green/orange goes to the 1st. What is this other black wire and where does it go?
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just search the forum. I don't have the link, but under my threads I have an alt swap thread. A alt will work froma98 Durango.
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
curlytj3582
2003 TJ Wrangler 

here is write up on it from quadratecforum. Quadratec Jeep Forum - View Single Post - Frequently Asked Questions
curlytj3582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
clerical12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so I finally got it hooked up. But I'm still having a few problems.. I'm only getting a little under 12 volts, when I start turning things on like the lights, and radio... It drops a little and when I rev the engine it drops a little more but never goes under 11.5 volts. And shortly after all that the check gauges light comes on. What seems to be the problem? Do I need new wiring?
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You need the proper alt with the same connectors.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.