Do you really need a new driveshaft for a TJ with 4 inches of Lift? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do you really need a new driveshaft for a TJ with 4 inches of Lift?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #46
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

nothing wrong with a t-case drop or MML.

vibes are the symptom of a problem.
that problem is u-joint binding.
a t-case drop or MML can put the output shaft in a better angle and reduce vibes...BUT...a u-joint's operational angle decreases the faster its rotating...so the t-case drop or MML may not fix the root problem = u-joint binding.
and these t-case drop or MML don't fix the driveshaft length problem....the more you lift it, the less spline engagement you'll get, especially when you start flexing and drooping the axle...and the u-joints bind even more with droop.
adding a tummy tuck adds lift seen by the t-case.

i've noticed differences in vibes with less than 1.5° pinion/output misalignment on my single cardan shaft....and my shaft is longer than yours

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #47
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty98TJ View Post
I am about to get a lift kit for my 98 tj sport, i hear a lot that you have to get a new driveshaft with 4 inches and over of lift, is this true, i wont be doing much offroading, just a little bit of muding here and there.
I believe the threshold between spending some money compared to a lot of money with Jeeps, is 3+ inches - either in a suspension lift or when increasing a tire's diameter (starting form a baseline of 30"). FWIW, I run a 2" suspension lift and it works great with my particular build and the type of trails I run here in the Pacific Northwest.

Regarding drive shaft length and drive line angles:

For the most part, I think a simple 1" motor motor mount lift combined with a transfer case drop, ranging from 0-1.5" will work with Jeeps and suspension lifts less than 3 inches. Anything exceeding a 3" lift would benefit more from a SYE and complement driveshaft.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #48
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
For the most part, I think a simple 1" motor motor mount lift combined with a transfer case drop, ranging from 0-1.5" will work with Jeeps and suspension lifts less than 3 inches. Anything exceeding a 3" lift would benefit more from a SYE and complement driveshaft.
A transfer case drop of 1.5" for a 3" suspension lift would be supremely stupid. There is simply no other way to explain completely negating the effect of your 3" lift.

Or put another way, if you raise your belly skid 1", that's the equivalent of putting on 2" larger in diameter tires. The inverse holds true as well. If you drop your belly 1.5", that's the same as putting on 3" smaller tires. HOW is that in the realm of smart?
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #49
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
A transfer case drop of 1.5" for a 3" suspension lift would be supremely stupid. There is simply no other way to explain completely negating the effect of your 3" lift.
It was a range not an absolute, dropping the transfer case from zero through 1.5 inches. Before I installed my MML, I had to drop my transfer case with 4 washers per bolt, I don't know the exact measurements of 4 washers but it may have been 0.25".
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

Unread 06-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #50
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It was a range not an absolute, dropping the transfer case from zero through 1.5 inches. Before I installed my MML, I had to drop my transfer case with 4 washers per bolt, I don't know the exact measurements of 4 washers but it may have been 0.25".
Mine was an absolute and you are incapable of convincing me to think or believe differently. Pure waste of time and money.
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #51
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Mine was an absolute and you are incapable of convincing me to think or believe differently. Pure waste of time and money.
Aloha mrblaine,

Not trying to convince you. Our Jeeps are not even in the same league or state and at one point in time, were on the same continent, I find it hard to believe you have owned or driven a stock unmodified Jeep longer than me. I am an old man, so I probably have less time than you and my pockets aren't deep enough to have a built rig like a majority of the Jeepers here, let alone you .

Malama pono .

Last edited by IslandTJ; 06-07-2010 at 07:48 AM..
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #52
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Aloha mrblaine,

Not trying to convince you. Our Jeeps are not even in the same league or state and at one point in time, were on the same continent, I find it hard to believe you have owned or driven a stock unmodified Jeep longer than me. I am an old man, so I probably have less time than you and my pockets aren't deep enough to have a built rig like a majority of the Jeepers here, let alone you .

Malama pono .
My comments were not to be taken seriously by you. I'm more hoping that the cobble together folks take heed and perhaps re-think their budgets before they start slapping stuff together.

Funny thing about how folks judge what others know by how long they've been doing something. I make no bones at all about how long I've been doing this. I bought my first TJ in May of 99.

What most don't know is my wife and myself went to some place here in SoCal that required the use of 4 wheel drive every single day for an entire year going after work to some local places and then ranging further every weekend except for the weekends and week nights that I was working on it.

In that first year, I built and changed the rig for the tires I needed at the various times starting with 31's, then with 33's and then with 35's.

By the end of that year, we had been to Moab and Johnson Valley with all of our mods to keep going done along the way.

Jeep educations can be gathered up in many different ways. I sometimes wonder which directions I would have taken had I any access to anyone who could have shown me some shortcuts to save me from having to learn everything by myself through trial and error.

As far as comparing rigs, I suspect your is a bit more capable than our bone stock 04 on 31's.
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #53
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ho`oponopono - it's all good mrblaine .

Unread 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #54
Smitty98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright guys thanks for all the advice, i've got a steady job now so around the middle of August i'm getting a 3 inch Black Diamond suspension lift kit, with some steelies, and 33x12.50 BFG KM2's

Last edited by Smitty98TJ; 08-06-2010 at 10:13 PM..
Smitty98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1998 , drive shaft , lift kits , offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.