Do wheel spacers make your steering wheel wobble at high speeds? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do wheel spacers make your steering wheel wobble at high speeds?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
bgndobe
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do wheel spacers make your steering wheel wobble at high speeds?

When I put my 1.5" spacers (Rough Country) on my stock wheels, the steering wheel shakes back and forth (about 1") when I get to 55mph.
Wheels are Ravines with 30 x 9.5 stock tires.
I've since took them off and it's gone.
(I was just seeing how much the tire was pushed out with them, then liked how it looked, so was going to keep them on).

I've already talked to a couple members here about it, but thought I'd make a thread to see if anyone else has had this happen.

bgndobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the shakes happened to me a little bit more with wheel spacers (when I ran them). it then got much worse when I removed the spacers and went to steel wheels with less backspacing.

Things to check:
- tires properly balanced
- tire has been correctly installed accounting for wheel/tire runout
- track bar is properly tightened and the holes aren't wollowed out
- factory POS steering stabilizer has been replaced with a larger aftermarket unit (there is a TSB on this)
- bad wheel bearings
- bad steering bushings

I had 3 of the above problems causing my steering harmonics at 45-50mph. If its shaking so bad that you can't control the vehicle, then you've got death wobble.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey,I know you.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
bgndobe
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah Brian......you need not reply on this one. lol
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgndobe View Post
Yeah Brian......you need not reply on this one. lol
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
bgndobe
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Unlinited04.
Since it doesn't happen with the spacers off.........I don't know if I actually have a "problem" that needs fixing.
I've checked for loose/worn parts already....all was good.
The wheels have not been RE-balanced, but it doesn't do it now (spacers off), so I don't get it.
I spoke to the guy at Rough Country.....and he said make sure they're on tight. DUH !!
Any other thoughts anyone ?
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgndobe View Post
Any other thoughts anyone ?
Buy some cheap black steelies for the price of Spidertrax.Sell your spacers to me.
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
klimb2xs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did you remove the rotor retainer clips from the lugs? If they are still on they won't allow the spacer to sit flat on the hub and will cause the wheel to wobble.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimb2xs View Post
Did you remove the rotor retainer clips from the lugs? If they are still on they won't allow the spacer to sit flat on the hub and will cause the wheel to wobble.
good point. make sure you've removed the factory installed rotor retainer clips.

if these have indeed been removed, then the only thing I can think of is the shakes somehow result from the drastic change in scrub radius.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimb2xs View Post
That tiny @$$ clip?
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
fsSnowboard
2005 TJ Wrangler 

does that clip need to be removed when installing non factory wheels, or just hub spacers?
fsSnowboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Junky burp
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think just the fact that the tires are further out from the balljoints is enough to cause the steering to act differently. At least that's what I interpret from that "end-all.....alignment thread" Have you read that?
Junky burp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsSnowboard View Post
does that clip need to be removed when installing non factory wheels, or just hub spacers?
That clip is just for removing the rotors.It's a tiny clip on just one wheel stud.I thought they did away with those on newer Jeeps.
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
BowtieNut
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've had a similar situation too. Got my TJ a couple months ago, drove it for about a month, & wheeled it, never had any shakes. Put a 4" RC X-lift in it, put the same tires back on (32x11.5 BFG AT), drove it for a couple weeks, & wheeled it, never had any shakes. Got the new tires & wheels (in sig), drove it for a couple weeks, wheeled it, never had any shakes. Got the RC spacers, put those on, along with the original 32's which I saved for street use, and now it shakes at 45-50 mph. Mostly just does it if I'm going around a gradual curve. Last night I re-set the toe-in, and that seems to have helped, but I haven't driven it much yet. The toe-in was almost 1/2", now it's about 3/32". My rotor clips are gone, I've checked the spacer's tightness twice, and everything else in the suspension & steering seems good and tight. I'm hoping that toe-in issue fixed it, but if it does it again I'm gonna have the 32's re-balanced. They just came with the Jeep and I'm sure they haven't been balanced since they were new, even though some of the tread is missing chunks on the inside where it was rubbing the lower control arms (PO had 32x11.5's on stock wheels and stock suspension so it rubbed at full turn).
BowtieNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think I steered you right in the PM's.Track bar/balance/alignment.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.