Do TJ's ride extremely rough on the highway with 6in+ lifts? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do TJ's ride extremely rough on the highway with 6in+ lifts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i-...-my-tj-751873/

edit: Can anyone dig up that photo of the underside of a TJ where it labels all the suspension components? I think that might help the young padawan.

Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
So you guys would recommend running like a 4.5in and 35's rather than a 6in?
Simple answer: yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
first answer what you want to do with the Jeep. what tires do you NEED to run where you're going?

my suggestion - drive it and wheel it like it is for a year. save your money. then you'll know wtf you want.
This was recommended to me when I had a stock height Sport (the one I have now) on 31's and 3.07 gears. I wheeled the heck out of it, found its limitations, what I needed to encompass into my future build plans to overcome that "thing" that stopped me and I learned why I need lockers, why 5.13s are better for me (and my Jeep) than 3.07s and why I wanted D44's front and rear vs. D30/D35, etc., etc., etc.

Wheel it stock, beat the heck out of it, learn where the abilities and inabilities are. And the best thing about that? It'll make you a better driver that can overcome biger challenges unlocked in 2 wheel drive that others can't do in 4Lo and locked. You learn how to be a better wheeler because you know your Jeep better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I think what people are doing is trying to get you to determine what you really need vs. what looks cool and indicating just how big an undertaking 6 inches of lift will be if you want to end up with a safe/usable rig.
Yep. Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
4.5" on short arms is liveable. I did it for about 8 months.

I would however recommend 3.5" suspension and 1" body. That will ride nicely and be plenty of room for 35" tires.
3.5" suspension, 1" BL...rear Idaho Jeep's build thread. That's what he rides. Besides being one of the coolest rigs out there, Idaho is very detailed in his build thread about the whys, why nots and reasons for deciding upon products (beware...it's a LONG read, but worth every hour spent doing it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
With flat fenders and adjustable arms... 35s on 2" BB is also doable. Sure, clearances everywhere are tight, and wheel offset, bumpstops, trackbars, and limiting front steering is needed... but if tire size, ground clearance, and offroad capability are the issue... there is NO reason to go to stupidly tall lift for any tire size that can be driven on the road comfortably.

OP, also read up on low center of gravity (LCOG) builds.

and I absolutely second (fourth?) the suggestion that you drive it stock, maybe with better tires in a 30 or 31 height, for a year before you start building.
LCOG builds: X2. There's many great threads here about them and you'd be amazed how capable a rig you can build without going up 29 feet in the air.

Main point: Determine what you need this rig to wheel. What kind of terrain? Is it going to stay a DD? Do research. Buy a Rubicon so you start off with a more than capable rig. Wheel the heck out of it and learn it. Have fun. Use this forum as your money saving tool. Read my signature that's written in white lettering. It's true. And as a last thought...build, don't buy. It's far more fun that way and you'll know better how to fix something that's broken (or a broken buddy on the trail) than if you buy built.

Have fun!
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
Read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i-...-my-tj-751873/

edit: Can anyone dig up that photo of the underside of a TJ where it labels all the suspension components? I think that might help the young padawan.
Do you mean this one?

Unread 07-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #19
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's the one! I think it might help anyone new to TJs that's reading this thread, including the OP. Thanks for finding and posting it.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
nniemczyk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep is sitting on 37x14.5 Toyo MTs with the 5.5 rubicon express long arm kit and she rides good on the highway. In mine experience its all about shocks, long arms, and tires when your lifting a jeep that big. I had rubicon express mono tube shocks as my first shocks with the lift and 37x12.5 Goodyear MTs and she rode like crap on the highway. Last fall I got a set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and my set of Toyos and the difference was amazing. So my point is if you get the right tires and shocks you will be alright.
nniemczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #21
nniemczyk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ By the this is after you have swapped in new axles, regeared em, got new HD steering, adjustable control arms and have a **** ton of money to spend on gas.
nniemczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post

My best suggestion to you? #1 - try to answer the first question posted above. Why 6" plus? Then #2 - research, research, research.

Let me give you a bit of perspective:

Choice #1:

Choice #2:

Now...not to say my Jeep (choice #2 pic) is anywhere near done or perfect yet, but which would you choose to drive a tough 4 wheel trail in? Choice 1 or choice 2?

Oh...and just so you know, I'm a 4.5" lift on 35's.

It's apparent that the TJ would be chosen over the XJ

Obviously no one is going to vote for that amount of body lift done in that manner.

My Jeep does have a 6" Long Arm. Does it drive well with 35's? Yes, a heck of a lot better than my 4" short arm did. Yes I could change my springs (to 4 inch springs) and front track bar if I wanted to in order to decrease my ride height. So I do have some flexibility. However, I find that it wheels nicely and doesn't do horrible on the road either.

In all honestly I feel as though some of you are speaking about 6 inches as if it's some kind of monster lift that is huge and I should be running 40's. Have you driven a 6" lifted TJ? Seen one? Sure, it could be different by vendor but mine is tolerable...that's my opinion though.

I don't know that I would jump from stock right into a 6 inch suspension though. Like it has been said by previous posters, there is more to it than lift and tires. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere above a 6 inch. That's the tallest I'd run.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
That's the one! I think it might help anyone new to TJs that's reading this thread, including the OP. Thanks for finding and posting it.
No problem. That picture helped edumacate me a lot in the early days. I imagine it will "padawan" too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nniemczyk View Post
My jeep is sitting on 37x14.5 Toyo MTs with the 5.5 rubicon express long arm kit and she rides good on the highway. In mine experience its all about shocks, long arms, and tires when your lifting a jeep that big. I had rubicon express mono tube shocks as my first shocks with the lift and 37x12.5 Goodyear MTs and she rode like crap on the highway. Last fall I got a set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and my set of Toyos and the difference was amazing. So my point is if you get the right tires and shocks you will be alright.
Please don't forget the obvious importance of gearing, gear housings, CVs, SYEs and axles (to name a few).
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #24
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
My Jeep does have a 6" Long Arm. Does it drive well with 35's? Yes, a heck of a lot better than my 4" short arm did. Yes I could change my springs (to 4 inch springs) and front track bar if I wanted to in order to decrease my ride height. So I do have some flexibility. However, I find that it wheels nicely and doesn't do horrible on the road either.

In all honestly I feel as though some of you are speaking about 6 inches as if it's some kind of monster lift that is huge and I should be running 40's. Have you driven a 6" lifted TJ? Seen one? Sure, it could be different by vendor but mine is tolerable...that's my opinion though.

I don't know that I would jump from stock right into a 6 inch suspension though. Like it has been said by previous posters, there is more to it than lift and tires. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere above a 6 inch. That's the tallest I'd run.
Remember this post by Jerry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Absolutely, that would be the perfect height for 35" tires. And any time I see someone ask about a 3.5, 4.5, or 5.5" lift height, I suspect they are thinking about a Rubicon Express lift. So if you are looking at a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift, their 4.5" lifts are really more like 5-5.5" in reality anyway.
I'm on a RE 4.5" lift, so we're very comparable (I'm at approx. 5.5"). There's nothing wrong with a 6" lift. It's just that I think many of us have realized it's not NEEDED. But if you're happy, that's all that matters.

Remember, this thread and info. is for the padawan. And even you're agreeing that jumping straight to a 6" lift from stock is questionable.
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #25
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Jess, I speak for myself although I am sure others meant the same thing. 6" of SHORT ARM lift sucks...it rides horribly and has awful angles.

6" longarm will ride just fine. I for one am not a huge LCG puke, I'm more of a "if it works, it works" mentality.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #26
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
Remember this post by Jerry?

I'm on a RE 4.5" lift, so we're very comparable (I'm at approx. 5.5"). There's nothing wrong with a 6" lift. It's just that I think many of us have realized it's not NEEDED. But if you're happy, that's all that matters.

Remember, this thread and info. is for the padawan. And even you're agreeing that jumping straight to a 6" lift from stock is questionable.
Yes it is.

I agree with what some of you have said as far as wheel it now and find it's limitations and go from there.

That could be why I went from stock, to 4 inches (short arm) and then finally arrived at 6 inches (long arm).

I can't say if it's needed or not, depends on the application.

So, short answer, no don't go with 6 inches right of the bat.

I also didn't get (maybe I missed it) the OP's intentions for the Jeep. Crawling? Mud? light trails? Those are some variables to consider OP.

That and in order for me to arrive at 6 inches of height I did more than tires and suspension. I focused on strength a bit too (Axles and the whatnot).

Kiss your bank account goodbye. It's an addiction for sure.
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #27
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Jess, I speak for myself although I am sure others meant the same thing. 6" of SHORT ARM lift sucks...it rides horribly and has awful angles.

6" longarm will ride just fine. I for one am not a huge LCG puke, I'm more of a "if it works, it works" mentality.
Oh yes, 6" short arm is quite foolish. Just looking at the geometry alone I would know that without setting foot inside the vehicle.
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #28
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Yes it is.

I agree with what some of you have said as far as wheel it now and find it's limitations and go from there.

That could be why I went from stock, to 4 inches (short arm) and then finally arrived at 6 inches (long arm).

I can't say if it's needed or not, depends on the application.

So, short answer, no don't go with 6 inches right of the bat.

I also didn't get (maybe I missed it) the OP's intentions for the Jeep. Crawling? Mud? light trails? Those are some variables to consider OP.

That and in order for me to arrive at 6 inches of height I did more than tires and suspension. I focused on strength a bit too (Axles and the whatnot).

Kiss your bank account goodbye. It's an addiction for sure.
The OP's intentions haven't been stated yet, but if they were, they'd help people here with knowledge of suspension builds guide him in the direction of satisfaction.

And yes....X2 on the kiss the bank account goodbye. Just Empty Every Pocket isn't such a funny saying to me (or my wife) anymore.

OP???
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #29
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is my reading comprehension lacking or did the OP never even say what he wants to do with his lifted jeep?

Everyone is going ape **** against high lifts because of center of gravity issues on the trail, when the guy just asked how does a 6 inch lift ride on the highway.

6 inch long arm kit, when properly set up should run fine.

6 inch short arm kit, done ghetto, should knock your teeth out when you go over a speed bump.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #30
99XombieTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I run a Tera max LGC kit. I have 5" suspension and a 1" body lift on 37" Pitbulls. I feel my jeep is to tall but it does ride very smooth. I feel it rides better than a stock TJ. So do most of my friends who ride with me and own jeeps. However an escalade it is not, it's a jeep it's going to ride rough compared to other vehicles.
99XombieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tj , wrangler , lift , suspension , rough , ride quality , highway

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.