Do TJ's ride extremely rough on the highway with 6in+ lifts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do TJ's ride extremely rough on the highway with 6in+ lifts?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
drummerboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do TJ's ride extremely rough on the highway with 6in+ lifts?

I'm getting a new vehicle soon and I want a TJ lifted about 6 inches. My dad has a friend that used to deal TJ's and he said that if it's lifted like 6in+, then it's going to ride terribly on the highway and interstate. Is this true? Anyone had any experiences with this? I just want to know if this is true or not so I can show my dad and make an educated decision on how much to lift it.

drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

First question you should be asking yourself (is what I asked myself when I started to read this thread) is why on earth would you want and/or need a 6" plus lifted Jeep?

A VERY brief introduction answer to your question: no, they don't ALL ride "rough". #1 - define "rough" and #2 - some people actually take the time, effort and money to build a properly lifted rig (be it a Jeep, Toy, Ford, etc.) and do it right. But then some people (probably the majority) think that all there is to lifting a rig is tires, springs (leaf or coils) and shocks. There's so much more to it. SO much more.

My best suggestion to you? #1 - try to answer the first question posted above. Why 6" plus? Then #2 - research, research, research.

Let me give you a bit of perspective:

Choice #1:

Choice #2:

Now...not to say my Jeep (choice #2 pic) is anywhere near done or perfect yet, but which would you choose to drive a tough 4 wheel trail in? Choice 1 or choice 2?

Oh...and just so you know, I'm a 4.5" lift on 35's.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

With the right suspension installed, absolutely it will not ride stiffly. That means the right shock absorbers, the right control arms, and to a much lesser extent, the right springs. So when the suspension is set up properly with the right shocks and control arms, you can make a tall lift ride about the same as the factory suspension does.

That said, 6" is way too tall in my opinion for any Jeep with any tire size less than about 38". On a really tough trail, that much lift will create more problems than you will like.

What size tires do you want to run?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
I'm getting a new vehicle soon and I want a TJ lifted about 6 inches. My dad has a friend that used to deal TJ's and he said that if it's lifted like 6in+, then it's going to ride terribly on the highway and interstate. Is this true?
if its a short arm, yea its going to ride & drive terrible at 6"+

Quote:
Anyone had any experiences with this? I just want to know if this is true or not so I can show my dad and make an educated decision on how much to lift it.
2-3" is plenty for most people...4" is very common. 6"+ can be done right, you just need to learn about suspension geometry and what its going to take to do it. I'll guess $8,000-$10,000 or so by the time your done with SYE, tires, wheels, quality long arm kit, steering and brake upgrades, gears, junkyard HP axle for the front to get good caster & pinion angle...and then you're only going to be able to run 35s due to your axle strength, which you could have done on 4" of lift. Some of that you can do yourself, other stuff you'll have to have done at a shop.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
With the right suspension installed, absolutely it will not ride stiffly. That means the right shock absorbers, the right control arms, and to a much lesser extent, the right springs. So when the suspension is set up properly with the right shocks and control arms, you can make a tall lift ride about the same as the factory suspension does.

That said, 6" is way too tall in my opinion for any Jeep with any tire size less than about 38". On a really tough trail, that much lift will create more problems than you will like.

What size tires do you want to run?
Read the bolded area. Research that part. IMHO, I'd say 40's, but that's just opinion. But either way, 38's or 40's...those would be pigs on the road as a DD. Ugh.

And what Jerry describes in the above paragrapgh about suspension, springs, shocks...it's all so true. This is the area that I'm saying some people (probably most) think that lifting a rig doesn't entail all these factors. And what a person has to realize is that all these factors have to work in harmony with each other. You can't have one part that doesn't "speak" to the other.

Again, research, research, research. There's MANY build threads on here that detail what's being said here (Idaho Jeep, Spyder6, etc., etc.).
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
if its a short arm, yea its going to ride & drive terrible at 6"+

2-3" is plenty for most people...4" is very common. 6"+ can be done right, you just need to learn about suspension geometry and what its going to take to do it. I'll guess $8,000-$10,000 or so by the time your done with SYE, tires, wheels, quality long arm kit, steering and brake upgrades, gears, HP axle for the front to get good caster & pinion angle. Some of that you can do yourself, other stuff you'll have to have done at a shop.
$8000-$10,000....I so want to live in the States! That would cost MINIMUM $15,000 here in Canada...for the cheapest of the cheap crap parts. With half of them being used off craigslist! Don't forget the new rear axle too. He'll probably be starting out with a D35 and want to upgrade that to at least a D44. That's more $$$.

To the OP: Don't get me (or anyone else here) wrong...a good lift of any size can be done. A lift of any size. But you have to ask yourself what you're lifting it to accomplish. Do you REALLY need 6" plus? IMO, no. My best suggestion to you is to research before throwing money at this project.
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
$8000-$10,000....I so want to live in the States! That would cost MINIMUM $15,000 here in Canada...for the cheapest of the cheap crap parts.
ya.....i was being optimistic. it would probably cost $15,000+ here too.
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Green4dr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i had a friend email me a month ago and he was gunna go the skyjacker 8'' short arm lift and 37s i was able to talk him down to the 4.5 long arm lift and 35s and he is plenty happy so just remember you dont need to be way up in the air just because it may look cool
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98xj-classic-springbreak-makeover-1344754
Green4dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
drummerboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So you guys would recommend running like a 4.5in and 35's rather than a 6in?
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
first answer what you want to do with the Jeep. what tires do you NEED to run where you're going?

my suggestion - drive it and wheel it like it is for a year. save your money. then you'll know wtf you want.
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Absolutely, that would be the perfect height for 35" tires. And any time I see someone ask about a 3.5, 4.5, or 5.5" lift height, I suspect they are thinking about a Rubicon Express lift. So if you are looking at a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift, their 4.5" lifts are really more like 5-5.5" in reality anyway.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you familiar with the geometric changes that occur when you go up? Even with 4.5" of lift, short arms will not be ideal IMO. The angles will be pretty steep, resulting in a higher instant center, higher antisquat, and rougher ride. If you don't get adjustable control arms, your wheelbase will be pulled in considerably. If you don't get adjustable track bars, the axle shift will be large too. Lastly, if you don't go with a fixed rear yoke and double cardan drive shaft, you'll need to address the vibes by dropping the skid plate and losing clearance. It's not just simple bolt-on and go man.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think what people are doing is trying to get you to determine what you really need vs. what looks cool and indicating just how big an undertaking 6 inches of lift will be if you want to end up with a safe/usable rig.
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

4.5" on short arms is liveable. I did it for about 8 months.

I would however recommend 3.5" suspension and 1" body. That will ride nicely and be plenty of room for 35" tires.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

With flat fenders and adjustable arms... 35s on 2" BB is also doable. Sure, clearances everywhere are tight, and wheel offset, bumpstops, trackbars, and limiting front steering is needed... but if tire size, ground clearance, and offroad capability are the issue... there is NO reason to go to stupidly tall lift for any tire size that can be driven on the road comfortably.

OP, also read up on low center of gravity (LCOG) builds.

and I absolutely second (fourth?) the suggestion that you drive it stock, maybe with better tires in a 30 or 31 height, for a year before you start building.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , wrangler , lift , suspension , rough , ride quality , highway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.