Do k & n filters stop as much dirt as paper filters ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do k & n filters stop as much dirt as paper filters ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
magnum629
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do k & n filters stop as much dirt as paper filters ?

Unread 12-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

answer hat seems to be common here is NO.........but I have run one in the past without issue. I run a AEM Dryflow with wrap now.
2004 Khaki Rubicon. Jeeperman Custom Brushguard and 54" bumper, Kilby steering skid, Skidrow radiator skid, SRC Rockcrawler rocker guards, UFW Al Engine Skid, OME Shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, AEM Dryflo intake;KC Slimlight 130W Long range lights, ORO LiteDots and LitePlate, Banks Stainless Monster cat-back, Eclipse stereo, BA Speakers, Jeeperman Handles, Cobra CB, interior leds... more to come.

**R.I.P NOW TOTALED** 98TJ Sport, 30x9.5 BFG ATKO's on AR Outlaw II's, K&N FIPK, Borla Catback,
Green jeep club member #139
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum629
When I ran a K&N, I would routinely find dust, in the air tube, downstream of the filter. I have a picture of it on my web site. If you don't have dust where you live, its probably not much of an issue.....many folks do have dust.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum629
stop as much? no

store as much? yes

they will actually trap more before becoming clogged, due to the pleated design...but they will also let more particles by in the process...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
victory red
2012 JK Wrangler 

if your looking at k&n, consider www.trueflow.com alot of happy tj owners.
Unread 12-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i've never had a problem with K&Ns

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

I had one in my TJ and the answer is no. I ran and AFE Stage two pod in my 7.3 L super duty diesel and that didn't stop the dust either. I am now running a stock filter in my tj and the ford AIS system. less air flow but better protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
James04TJ

The real question comes down to what paper filter you are using to compare it to... Some filters out there are total junk. Also, the seal between the filter and the air box is just as important as the filter media. It is actually ideal to apply grease around the filter lip to aid in the seal to the airbox.

So, regarding if a K&N filters better than an OEM filter, it most likely will not. Another thing to consider though is if it filters "good enough". I do have dusty conditions here however through used oil analysis I have never had high silica levels using my Airaid cone filter on my Airaid intake pipe. With that said, I will be changing to an AMSOIL AaO cone filter before too long to see if I get lower silica levels.
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.