Do I need wheel adapters? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do I need wheel adapters?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 05-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
Steelsopr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do I need wheel adapters?

Hello I've been tinkering with my used Jeep I bought and found out strange thing, when I took the wheels of it was really hard to place them back and center. There is a big gap between the wheel hole and the hub of the axle. I took a picture of it the hole of the wheel is about 3 and 5/16 inches and hub size should be standard 2 and 3/4. Is it normal like that?
Should I get some king of wheel adapters to fix it? If yes can someone please recomend which ones?
Or can the issue be fixed by getting some push thru center wheel caps. If yes then what size should they be I guess standard ones 3.3 Inches should fit or should I take 3,18 inches?

center.jpg  
Steelsopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 05:22 AM   #2
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No that's normal with aftermarket wheels... they're designed to fit many applications so the center bore is large enough to fit any. The lug nuts do fine centering the wheel

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, there is hub centric and lug centric. Good wheel adapters will be hub centric but most folks run correctly backspaced aftermarket wheels lug centric as shown in your picture.
Your wheels, and lug nuts, should have a 60 conical taper with the "bulge" and will center the wheels when torqued properly.
img_6269.jpg  
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
AngryRedBird

hah.. @Steelsopr I like your Locking lug system/deterrent.. three different sized lug nuts..
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRedBird View Post
hah.. @Steelsopr I like your Locking lug system/deterrent.. three different sized lug nuts..
And of the 5 lug nuts on there, only one is correct for alloy rims.
Unread 05-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Jeepsr4me

Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones and the rim will center up on them. Rather have the hub centric version of a rim, but no need in this case.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here......
Oh my, not that!

You don't have to run the open style, but here's an example of the correct profile, in the first pic, a 60 conical with the bulge. I currently run the "ET" (E-xtended T-hread) style, the second pic.
306-5350-4.jpg

30653905.jpg

Unread 05-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Oh my, not that!

You don't have to run the open style, but here's an example of the correct profile, in the first pic, a 60 conical with the bulge. I currently run the "ET" (E-xtended T-hread) style, the second pic.
Some rims, especially the higher strength versions have very thin wheel mount areas and the nose on the ET lug nuts can stick past and bottom out on the shoulder on the lug studs that stick past the face of the unit bearing flange. Test them first to make sure they don't get too close to the back face of the rim.
Unread 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
AngryRedBird

So here is a question: Because he/she used incorrect lugs.. would the wheels lug pattern have been distorted.. Then there is the assumption that because of the out of round.. could this have damaged something other than the wheel.. shocks, bushings etc..
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones and the rim will center up on them. Rather have the hub centric version of a rim, but no need in this case.
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Some rims, especially the higher strength versions have very thin wheel mount areas and the nose on the ET lug nuts can stick past and bottom out on the shoulder on the lug studs that stick past the face of the unit bearing flange. Test them first to make sure they don't get too close to the back face of the rim.
Good point Blaine! I recall testing my American Racing Outlaw II's to ensure thickness...
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #12
Steelsopr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you everybody, The thought to change the nuts did cross my mind, but was not top priority. Now I will look in to getting proper lug nuts.
Steelsopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsopr View Post
Thank you everybody, The thought to change the nuts did cross my mind, but was not top priority. Now I will look in to getting proper lug nuts.
You are looking for the ones that have the bulge like the single factory one on there has. The ones without dig into the countersink area with the corners of the hex and ruin the seats in the rim.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.