Do I need to change this?...FAST? (Rear tire close to upper coil bucket) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Do I need to change this?...FAST? (Rear tire close to upper coil bucket)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 04-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
SWATmedic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do I need to change this?...FAST? (Rear tire close to upper coil bucket)

While a buddy and I were looking under the jeep I noticed how narrow of a gap there is between the rear coil spring cup and the inside edge of my tire....

There actually is a gap. I tried to take two images to show it. I don't have photo shop or I would have added an arrow.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722109"]JEEP TJ BOOTCAMP![/URL]

2005 Rubicon, 4" X-Series lift from Rough Country w/ 2.2 performance shocks, 33" Mickey MTZ
SWATmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
SWATmedic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Is this dangerous, or does this require immediate attention?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722109"]JEEP TJ BOOTCAMP![/URL]

2005 Rubicon, 4" X-Series lift from Rough Country w/ 2.2 performance shocks, 33" Mickey MTZ
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

looks a little too close for comfort but i guess if it hasn't been rubbing its not too bad...If i were you i would space out your tires a bit.
Black Jeep Society Member #398

*Jeep Wave*
TJftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i would get some wheel spacers
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
SWATmedic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard so many mixed reviews on spacers and I know nothing about them. The back spacing on the moab rims aren't that great. 5 inches.

Unread 04-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have never used them, but i've never heard anything bad about em. you could post about wheel spacers, im sure a bunch of guys on here are using them.

honestly, i prolly would buy some if it were me... id ask about em first, but i have a feeling people would say they work fine.
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Is it the same on both sides? Since your profile lists a 2-inch BB, I'll bet your axle is shifted to one side. A track bar bracket, or an adjustable rear track bar if you want to spend that much, should center the axle. That would increase the gap you are looking at, by making the gap on both sides approximately equal.
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

why would a 2in BB offset the axle?
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
SWATmedic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxbicon View Post
Is it the same on both sides? Since your profile lists a 2-inch BB, I'll bet your axle is shifted to one side. A track bar bracket, or an adjustable rear track bar if you want to spend that much, should center the axle. That would increase the gap you are looking at, by making the gap on both sides approximately equal.
You know...I have read about the shift and never thought it happened because my jeep looks fine to me, but.....
Left side...

and now....drum roll please....the right side...

Unread 04-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you need an adjusable track bar.

As far as spacers go, if you get the ones that actually bolt on to the axle, they're completely safe. The "bad" ones that people talk about are the shims that just go inbetween the wheel and spindle, causing the lugnuts to have less threads holding the wheel on. Those are in fact very dangerous.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
kylerobichaud
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ive got the same problem as you except mine rubs when i hit bumps, so not alot of drivin is bein done lol
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwrangler99 View Post
why would a 2in BB offset the axle?
Because the trackbar bolts to the axle on one end and the frame on the other - so when you lift it's like opening a pair of scissors. The trackbars pull the front to the drivers side and the rear to the passenger side.

Lay a pencil on a table. Lift one end and you see that the other end that's still on the table moves towards the end you are lifting.

Jim

To the OP - you can grind a bit of the edge of the spring perch off but you really need an adjustable trackbar.
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
Because the trackbar bolts to the axle on one end and the frame on the other - so when you lift it's like opening a pair of scissors. The trackbars pull the front to the drivers side and the rear to the passenger side.

Lay a pencil on a table. Lift one end and you see that the other end that's still on the table moves towards the end you are lifting.

Jim

To the OP - you can grind a bit of the edge of the spring perch off but you really need an adjustable trackbar.
thanks for the info, ill have to keep that in mind...
2011 Patriot FD1
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Kip03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post

Jim

Good annology, I learned something new today.
2003 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition fully loaded 5 speed manual. Brown dog 1" motor mounts, Currie 1" body lift, jks front disconnects, 31" Goodyear Wrangler duratracs, 8 adjustable control arms, Advance Adapters HD SYE, Tom woods premium driveshaft, driver & passenger heated seats
Kip03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
SWATmedic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I had saved up a little money and was going to get a rough country 2.5, and steering stabilizer, 1" BL, maybe new bushings.....now it appears I need an adjustable track bar!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.