DIY Taillights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY Taillights

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
1kZJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

DIY Taillights

I wanted to install flush mount LED taillights, but wasn't ready to cut into the tub. I like the way the Off Road only surface mount LEDs look, but not the price. Originally I was going to make a plate to bolt in place of the factory lens, with the taillight in that. Then I had an idea, what about a 4 inch PVC cap?

So I removed the factory taillight housing, put a dab of grease in each bolt hole, and positioned the cap so that it covered the oval hole and was centered. pulled it off and drilled where the grease had marked the back of the cap.

Then I put the 4 inch round LED light in the cap to see how much I wanted to shorten it.

I cut a half inch off the cap. It's a little uneven, but the bench grinder fixed that.

The rectangle drawn on the back of the cap was cut out, the LED had a rectangle protruding from the back. I cut this out so I could get the light in as far as possible

Next I took my air grinder, and... well I am not sure what the grinding wheel is called, but it worked great.

With the grinder, I removed material from the inside walls of the cap. This is done so the grommet and LED fit snug. About an 1/8 of an inch from the edge, grind a lip for the grommet to snap over.

Ok, at this point, my phone died so I don't have pic's. This is what I did. I decided to add a reverse light to the housing. I cut a hole in the side of each cap. On the drivers side it is at about 10 o'clock and on the passenger side, about 2 o'clock. In that hole I epoxied a cut down 1 inch to 1.5 inch 90 degree elbow.
I bought some LED fog lights from the parts store, and fit them in the 90's.
then I painted the housings flat black, wired the lights and fit the LED's.
Here are the results.

I guess I was inspired by my old Autometer Tach with shift light. I like them, they are different and bright. so, thats it. Let the flaming begin.

1kZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
kashoggio

A for effort but the reverse light light looks cheap and doseent fit at the look at all

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkRed"]"Some desire is necessary to keep life in motion."[/COLOR][/FONT]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2004-tj-rubicon-skittles-build-1152944/"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Lime"]MY JEEP BUILD [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/URL]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=226258"]ITEMS FOR SALE [/url]

[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/polish-jeepers/"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]POLISH JEEPERS CLUB[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/url]
kashoggio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
B52dude
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think this is a great idea. It needs just a bit more perfection, though. I'm not sure what, but I might steal it, if that's all right.

Red Jeep Club #614
B52dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
1kZJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I like the reverse lights, but that's why they make vanilla and chocolate. B52dude, steal away. That's why I posted it. So others could use it, improve upon it. Kinda like open source software. I also added a small tag light. Walmart had a clear marine marker LED on clearance, I taped off the bottom side, painted it sliver, then black and mounted it on a license plate frame. I can post a pic so you guys can tell me it looks bad and you can do better.
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i love the look of the LEDs to man. nice write up!
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Drdan524
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think maybe you should have used something like the old Cuda taillights. The red outter circle with the white inner. I am going to look something like that and use your instructions. Great idea though, saves cutting up the tub.
Drdan524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

how did you wire them? cut and splice with resistors?
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #8
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

PVC tail lights I can live with. That 3" BL on the other hand........
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
1kZJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the BL was on it when it when I got it last week. Got to do something about that.
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
1kZJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I cut the stock plug and crimped/ shrink tubed the connections. No resistors , I cut the race to the burnt bulb circuit in the relay. The blinkers work fine, and my flasher quit clicking like crazy.
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks pretty good! Look alot better than mine! I used truck brackets on mine with side LED markers. Fab these up!
led.jpg  
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
lortsie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very creative solution, I like it and will steal too
lortsie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
IXLR8
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks pretty good. I have flush mount LED'S by litedot and you don't have to cut anything they bolt right on and look great. FYI.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
scottywags
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
Looks pretty good. I have flush mount LED'S by litedot and you don't have to cut anything they bolt right on and look great. FYI.
Uh, yeah and the ones from litedots are close to $200!

This is sweet! I just got my led tail lights in the other day and couldn't find my jig saw to cut into the tub all weekend. Was gonna borrow my Dads until I saw this ...Nice work!

I'll post pics of mine when I gett'em done.
scottywags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
IXLR8
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can get the ones with no reverse light for around $40-$60. Yes, the other with reverse and side marker lights around $200. They are made of high quality materials and completely sealed to the weather. (or deep puddles). Also being able to mount in existing holes was great, once you cut your tub there is no going back! IMO.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.