DIY Roof Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY Roof Rack

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 02-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
dmccluskey129
1998 TJ Wrangler 

DIY Roof Rack

I was, as always, disappointed with the retail roof racks for TJs. The cost of the ones that allow you to put up/take down the soft top without removing the rack is also really high.

I was hoping someone here could put up some info or personal experience about a project like this before I jump into it this spring.
Thanks

dmccluskey129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
ColoradoCole
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Making a custom Roof Rack isn't that hard at all. All you really need is a tube bender not a hydralic but a man powered arm tube bender, a friend to help, welder and a great idea. I built this roof rack in about a week, but i worked non stop on it to get everything right, remember measure multiple times before you cut, and make sure you bend the tube in the correct spot. I spent about 300 somewhere around there with all the materials and rhino lining it. In the last photo you can see a support beam that goes across the rollbars and through the hardtop to support the weight of the rack and whatever i put in it. I can support up to 300 lbs but i would never put that much up there ever!

Ill take a few better pictures tomorrow in the day light.
ColoradoCole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a design that might give you some ideas... this one can be made very inexpensively from two Harbor Freight ATV Cargo Racks. Mine cost about $75 (the racks were on sale plus the 20% off coupon on each so they cost me $30 each), plus the $15 XJ Cherokee roof rack that's mounted on the roof.

It's actually a drill-and-bolt fab job, there's no welding or complicated construction or tools required. If you need more details or info let me know.

I've tested it with more weight than it would be safe to drive with, but that doesn't mean the factory hardtop would be capably of the same weight capacity, my hardtop has brackets that support the roof rack directly on the roll bars.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
dmccluskey129
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the good ideas. im looking at a more difficult project than it seemed from the first post.
I hope to make a rack similar to the congo cages which let you tip it back and put up/take down the soft top without removing it entirely. im just working out the details and seeing if i have enough time/cash to try it but i will probably start working on it over spring break. ill post pictures here when i get around to working on it though.
dmccluskey129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cargomaster congo cage , diy , fab , rack , roof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.