DIY Fender lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY Fender lift

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 05-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

DIY Fender lift

So far i have only done the drivers rear. Took about 5hrs, but i spent a bunch of time just looking at it and making sure i didn't F' it up. I'm going to relocate the evap BS to the drivers side to make room on the passenger side to cut in deeper and build a little storage thing like i did on my last jeep. Then i'll modify my intake (with before and after dynos, just because i can).

jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
krushnasty
1993 YJ Wrangler 

so did u cut the tub at all i couldnt rly se in the pic. i like the flare lift tho it looks cool gives alot of clearance i might do it after the snorkel and b4 the paint
krushnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yup, I hacked out a pretty big section.
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
slimP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can you post complete Jeep shots so I can get more of a feel how it looks overall? Thanks
--==(Blue Jeep Club Member #11)==--
--==(Pride, Heritage, Tradition - The American Legend - JEEP)==--
slimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

maybe sometime in the future when i get the fronts done too, don't have any now. All pictures are here Fender Lift
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good so far.

Are you planning on doing a DIY highline on the front fenders also??? If so, Hopefully you take as much time on the front as you did on the rear. Some of the DIY front fender highlines i've seen on JF look a little ragged.
blubaru2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I'm going to do the front too. That will take MUCH longer!! I never understood why people would highline the rear and not hack out all the metal that will still be in the way.
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

lack of a sawzall and lack of balls
Unread 05-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
lack of a sawzall and lack of balls
LOL, thanks You must have missed the picture of the sawzall in the bottom left pic. How about posting your hack job?
Unread 05-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
LOL, thanks You must have missed the picture of the sawzall in the bottom left pic. How about posting your hack job?
LOL. I saw the sawzall you used. You definately have a sawzall and balls dude.

I was answering your question of why pple would half *** a rear fender highline job.
Unread 05-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Kiser10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post

I think he was referring to your previous post?
Unread 05-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good except for the flares. It would bug the hell out of me that they do not go all the way to the bottom of the tub anymore. Do you have any plans to fix that or are ya gonna leave it as is.
Chester405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
LOL. I saw the sawzall you used. You definately have a sawzall and balls dude.

I was answering your question of why pple would half *** a rear fender highline job.
haha gotcha. I actually made 98% of the cut with a cut off wheel on a grinder. The metal is thin and the sawzall can be brutal sometimes when it catches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester405 View Post
Do you have any plans to fix that or are ya gonna leave it as is.
As is. You can't do a highline without lifting the fenders. I could care less and think it looks just fine.
Unread 05-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester405 View Post
Looks good except for the flares. It would bug the hell out of me that they do not go all the way to the bottom of the tub anymore. .
x2. You did a good job on it, but the flare thing would really bug me on my rig. Kind of makes it look like a body-lift gone wrong. I think it would look good without the flare though. Kudos for the cajones to do it!
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yesterday i relocated the evap. It was a pain due to a couple things, one being i loaned my right angle drill to a friend (who is out of town!) Doh!. That cost me at least an hour, but i ended up using one of those twist bendy things on the end of my drill with some hex shank drill bits. Then i finished off the holes with self tapping sheet metal screws. I spent a lot of time trying to unplug that stupid electrical connector because its very hard to see when the evap is in the original location. Remember that the red safety thing needs to get pushed down about 1/8" before the connector can open. I just cut the wires (had to get done sometime). I moved the T for the vacuum lines to the other side along with the evap. I cut the small hose that goes on the t and that was a ***** to get onto the t. I gave up and used a larger piece of hose to go over it with a clamp. I almost busted out my lighter to soften up the end and make it easier, but not on a gas line!! Once you hack up the bracket that the evap had, its actually a good fit on the drivers side. It pretty much butts up against the back of the tub where the tail light comes thru (no flush mounts for me now )
I welded on a tab to the metal brace and then a piece of SS to go across and bolt onto the tub seams. The electrical part is super easy, the wires start on the drivers side to just match up the colors. You will need a long thick walled vacuum tube to run from the tank hat to the other side. I had some from something else, but make sure the tube won't crush down under vacuum.

It took about 4-5hrs just for the relocation, and my hands had plenty of bleeding cuts on them at the end of the day. I hate working in cramped situations! Pics will come once i lift the passenger side.

I think it will look much better with some 35s filling the gap.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.