DIY Alignment Kit and Steps w/Pics... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DIY Alignment Kit and Steps w/Pics...

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 03-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

DIY Alignment Kit and Steps w/Pics...

Performed an alignment this morning and thought I'd share my DIY alignment kit and method that I use to set toe-in on my TJ.
I was never happy with the "scribe a line", "bungee to the outside of the wheel", or "measure from one tire seam or lug to another" processes.

The kit contains:

2 - 48" Steel Square Tubes (marked at the center points and at tire diameter)
4 - Large Pony Clamps
2 - Small Pony Clamps
2 - Tape Measures
6 - 1/2"-20 Nuts with Washers
2 - Bullet Levels

Steps:

1 - Place on jack stands close to ride height and remove front tires.

2 - Use nuts and washers to secure rotors to unit bearings. <-- IMPORTANT!!! If you don't, you can't achieve any accuracy.

3 - Center steel tubes on the lower side of each rotor and clamp with large pony clamps.

4 - Use bullet levels to place bars into same horizontal plane.

5 - Run two tape measures from one set of steel tubes to the other at the marks representing the tire diameter, clamp one end of the tapes with small pony clamps making sure to not affect the tapes ability to record an outside measurement, and let the other end hang suspended above the ground.

6 - Compare the measurements of the two tapes. In my case, I've targeted the front to be 3/16" smaller than the rear for my 35's (toe-in). The actual measurement does not matter, just the difference between the front and back tapes.

Front = 57-10/16"

Rear = 57-13/16"

7 - To adjust, loosen the clamps on, and rotate the tie-rod until you reach your desired setting. You'll see the tapes slide on the tubes as the tie-rod is turned. I use the inside edge of the tubes for my measurements so that I'm not fooled by the curvature of the tape outside the tube.

8 - Once you're happy with the delta of the front and rear tapes, tighten the clamps on the tie-rod, keeping in mind the clamp positioning relative to any moving parts that may come into contact with them.

9 - Then, you can center the steering wheel by loosening the drag link clamps and rotating the link until your wheel is centered. Once it's centered to your liking, tighten the clamps on the drag link, keeping in mind the clamp positioning relative to any moving parts that may come into contact with them. You may need to repeat this step a couple of times after test driving the Jeep to get it just right.

Easy as pie...

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent write up thanks for taking the time. I vote to add this to the end all alignment thread.
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's a good write up. I do mine very similar except I only have one tape measure so I have to go back and forth a few times. It looks easier with two for sure.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
RubiDee
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice write up & pics...I do the same with two old hockey stick shafts(nice and straight)use bungee cords to hold to tires/rims and measure across...definitely looks easier to measure without tires in the way, but more work jacking and removing..
RubiDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiDee View Post
Nice write up & pics...I do the same with two old hockey stick shafts(nice and straight)use bungee cords to hold to tires/rims and measure across...definitely looks easier to measure without tires in the way, but more work jacking and removing..
Yep, I tried the bungee cord on the outside of the tire method too and found it to be not as accurate due to tire sidewall variance. This method, with the bar under the rotor hat, is easy to duplicate. When you're trying to hold tight dimensions every bit counts, this method seems to be accurate and repeatable. To get that, I don't mind a little extra work.

Thanks for the comments, glad to help.
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

awesome! thanks! I see you are targeting 3/16" for your toe-in. Is that on 35's? Does anybody have info on what toe-in to use for different size tires?
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Rangerz

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up. Thanks!

Chris - Lost Wages, NV

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, 2009 Lance 825, 2005 TJ,
Polaris RZRs.
Rangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
awesome! thanks! I see you are targeting 3/16" for your toe-in. Is that on 35's? Does anybody have info on what toe-in to use for different size tires?
Typically 1/16" to 1/8" but through trial and error I use 3/16" toe-in for my 35's. I know some jeeps seem to handle/drive better with toe-out too.

You're welcome!

This is something most folks can do, in the driveway, with a couple of tools, some jack stands, and this kit. Also, you can check it as often as you desire and experiment with different settings without another trip to the alignment shop.
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Clear and concise write up! I think I am gonna tackle this today... Just got new tires and. Want to make sure they wear in properly!
aparke4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Very good writeup...thanks for taking time to shoot some pictures

I think I saw something similar written up by Jerry or stu maybe? Not as comprehensive and detailed as this writeup though
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I drilled holes in my bars and tighten them down on the lugs with spacers to clear the hub. Easy to get level and keep centered. I check it every time I rotate. It takes maybe 10 extra minutes.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I use the tire seam method,don't even lift the Jeep and never had any wear problems, robncar.I'm too lazy to remove my tires to do your nice alignment as long as my tires wear evenly.Really nice write-up though. Moderators put it in the sticky!
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
4xfiend
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Moderators put it in the sticky!
Then it will never get read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I DON'T FRIGGIN' CARE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M
Please keep the facts to yourself; nobody here wants to hear them. This was a perfectly good internet argument until you came along with anecdotal evidence.
4xfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
Terrain Twister
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Robncar,
I'm assuming your pulling both measurements roughly 17-1/2" from the center of the hub?
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write-up

I use some aluminum I bought from home depot & hop back & forth with one tape measure

Measuring off the tread seems like it'd be way harder/less accurate....at least for me

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.