disengaged clutch noisy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > disengaged clutch noisy?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
RSLary
2002 TJ Wrangler 

disengaged clutch noisy?

2002 sahara 5spd. When out of gear and clutch is out its a bit noisy.
Not always, just sometimes. Push clutch in, noise gone. I understand what the process is but seems noisier than it should be and its not all the time.
I can depress the clutch once and release and it could be quieter than it was.

a few months ago I had to have the transmision replaced. Was told clutch and related parts all looked good and no need to replace anything.

jeep has about 75,000 miles

RSLary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's normal for the AX-5 and NV-3550 manual transmissions... just the sound of your gears spinning.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
RamVA

I agree some noise is normal in that situation. If it's unusually loud it could be the bearings on the input shaft of the gearbox. I'm not sure if this happens a lot on Jeeps, but I had that issue on my 2nd Integra. If that is the case it won't hurt anything, it'll just be annoying.

FWIW when your foot is OFF the clutch pedal it is ENGAGED. Disengaged clutch is when the clutch is in (hopefully this makes sense). If it's noisy only when the clutch is disengaged/in, that's most likely the throwout bearing.
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
RSLary
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is when clutch is engaged, transmision in newtral. Sounds like you would expect but just louder than I think it should be. It has alway been kind of "chattery". If I disengage the clutch and release, it quiets down a little.
Are the gears I hear turning when engaged in the transmision or the clutch?
I recently had the transmision replaced (6 months ago)
Unread 01-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
RamVA

IF the clutch is out/engaged, gearbox is in neutral, and vehicle is not moving, then the parts that are moving are basically:
a) motor
b) clutch (both sides)
c) throwout bearing (though not under very much load)
d) transmission input shaft

As stated above, my bet is the bearings on (d), though (c) is a possibility.

Does it get noticably loader when you rev the engine (clutch engaged, gearbox in neutral)?
Unread 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Really depends on how noisy you're talking about. A little "rattle" from inside is normal. Mine has always done that. Using Royal Purple Synchrowhatever quieted it down a lot though.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
RamVA

I should add - if it is in fact the input shaft to the gearbox making the noise, then it's probably not going to hurt anything if you don't do anything about it.
Unread 01-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Consider it a "Jeep Thing"

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
mmtphoto

I own and have owned a lot of stick shifts-suspect the throwout bearing, if you gently rest your foot on the clutch pedal and it changes, that's it.
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
RSLary
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just gave it a listen again. When clutch is engaged and trans in neutral it has a bold ticking noise. Sounds like playing cards in the spokes of your bike. Increaseing engine rps, increases volocity of noise. If I disengage the clutch to any degree and engage again it goes away. This process repeated will somtimes bring the noise back sometimes not. But it will always return on 2 or 3 attempts. Letting the clutch out easy decreases the chances of the noise returning. Letting out the clutch quickly, increases the chances of the noise returning. Seems the more forefully you engage the clutch the higher the degree of noise. Any thoughts?
As I stated in earlier post, I had to have the trans replaced this past summer and I addressed the condion of the clutch and they said all ok. However, the tech working on it was not one of the A team and his efforts caused them to have to keep jeep an extra week due to misdiagnosing trans problem. Not really sure on the details, they made it right when they wrote the bill but could this problem be result of any part of them putting it back together?

Last edited by RSLary; 01-26-2008 at 12:30 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.