Disconnection Fog lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Disconnection Fog lights

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-22-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
PaMuddin

Disconnection Fog lights

Well i just ordered some new fog lights as one of mine was broken clear off and the other has smashed. My question is how do i disconnect the wiring from the back of the lgiht. Is that box part a plug and if i pull hard enough will it come out? Or do i need to cut the wires? Thanks. Also i'm getting some KC 6" day lighters do they plug in if its a plug or do they need to be wired? Thanks!

Unread 01-22-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
fashionbiff

Well the KCs are not going to have the plug on them, you will need to butt splice the new to the old. I dont know what the factory plug looks like but I am guessing it has tabs that need to be lifted to un plug it. Your best bet is just cutting the wire close to the old light and but splicing that to the new light, that way if you need to pull the lights you can un plug them. I think that the KCs have tails (wires on them already )
fashionbiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2003, 08:56 PM   #3
PaMuddin

alright thats what i was wondering. I'll just cut them since they have to wired in anyway.
Unread 01-22-2003, 09:02 PM   #4
Deaver

I think I would rewire your KC's. Here's why
The OEM Fog loghts come with 55w bulbs and wiring to support them. The KC's typically come with either 100 or 130W H3 bulbs. There is a KC model that contains a sealed beam lamp rated at 150watt. I am not sure your OEM wiring will stand up to the increased wattage of you KC's, at least not efficently

Take a look here for advise

http://catalog.com/susq/other/wiring.htm

http://catalog.com/susq/other/auxlamps.htm
Unread 01-22-2003, 10:28 PM   #5
fashionbiff

Thats a really good point, did not even think about it. Deaver
is exactly right !
fashionbiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2003, 06:36 AM   #6
macb

good call deaver...wouldn't want to see a jeep on fire

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2003, 07:09 AM   #7
Deaver

Thanks guys
Jus tryin to keep a feller out of trouble. We seem to have enough excitement in our lives

BTW; When removing the OEM fog lights, if you look closely at the wirring harness, you will notice that the lamps have a plug at the end of their pigtail. Just unlug them a you are good to go.

If it were me, I would replace the OEM lamps as they are ECode lights using an H3 bulb and they due serve a purpose and Add the KC's as driving lights.

Lights and wiring seems to be the misunderstood modification. I plan on doing an informative write-up offering options and uses, some day soon for educational purposes

Last edited by Deaver; 01-23-2003 at 07:33 AM..
Deaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2003, 07:49 AM   #8
DLoweinc

Very informative Deaver,

I know I would be interested in that write up. I plan on installing some fog lights, rock lights and some KC daylighters as well. A write up will be extremely helpful.
Unread 01-23-2003, 10:49 AM   #9
PaMuddin

i thin kthat the KCs come with a wiring kit. Does anybody know?
Unread 01-23-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
macb

most off road/fog light kits come with wiring/switches/relays just
double check when you order it. If you ordered the 55w variety
then you could probably just use the factory harness, but if you
went up to a higher output then you should upgrade the harness
as well - although you can use the factory switch/wiring to power the relay since that is a low power curcuit.

HTH

ok Deaver - we are all waiting for an electical systems write up
for all jeep wranglers model TJ years 97 to current! (no pun intended)

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
macb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2003, 01:00 PM   #11
Deaver

workin on it
Unread 01-23-2003, 01:14 PM   #12
PaMuddin

well the KC lights do come iwht a wiring kit and i did get the 100W ones. I'll wire them up hopefully this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.