dipstick broken in dipstick tube - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dipstick broken in dipstick tube

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

dipstick broken in dipstick tube

so my oil dipstick's plastic handle broke off while removing my battery as it hit it. it looks like the dipstick tube is pressed into the oil pan. is there an easy way to remove it or does the dipstick tube come off/on ? Dont like having no way to check oil level. the plastic is to far down into the tube to get with needle nose , its like 1.5" down at least from trying to get it out

1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
jmasin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How about a small magnet on a string (i.e. what you'd use to fish out screws)?

You may have to shove it down there but maybe you can pull it out that way?

Of course that may be a completely idiotic idea because I guess I'm not really sure what the stick is made of...
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasin View Post
How about a small magnet on a string (i.e. what you'd use to fish out screws)?

You may have to shove it down there but maybe you can pull it out that way?

Of course that may be a completely idiotic idea because I guess I'm not really sure what the stick is made of...
Thats what I was going to say.

If not magnetic get a scribe.
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Actually, maybe a stupid idea but Id take a vacuum hose and try to suck it out. Couldnt hurt.
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
hockeyplayer21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i replaced the 4-cyl motor in my jeep and the used engine's dipstick was broken off in the tube, and the only way i could get it out was by taking off the oil pan and pushing it out. i tried everything, drilling a small hole and putting a screw in it, i'm sure there are other ways, but in the end i ended up taking the oil pan out
hockeyplayer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I broke mine while changing plugs, although when mine broke, the plastic piece left on the dipstick was almost flush with the end of the dipstick tube. Not sure how yours broke off so far down, so this may or may not work.

I searched a bunch of threads here for advice, and this is what worked for me. (Assuming you still have some plastic left on the dipstick.)

Take a small pair of vice grips, and gently squeeze the dipstick tube where the remaining plastic is on the dipstick. This will help prevent you from pushing it in even further.

For the next piece, I used a small curved pick from a Snap-on set I have. I heated the pick with a torch until it was glowing orange, then quickly stuck it into the plastic left on the dipstick and held it there.

After it cooled for a minute, I was able to release the vice grips and pull the dipstick right out.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you can't get a grip on what's left of the stick remove the bolt from the tab on the dip stick tube, pull tube from block, remove broken stick, reinsert tube into block, reinstall bolt, install new dip stick, and have a happy day.

Why remove the pan?
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Easy solution ,I have removed several using the following method, Get a small pocket screwdriver heat the tip cherry red with a torch while it's cherry red gently push it in to the broken plastic letting it melt it's way in, Hold it still till cool then remove broken dipstick a piece of coat hanger may work if you don't have a small screwdriver.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
If you can't get a grip on what's left of the stick remove the bolt from the tab on the dip stick tube, pull tube from block, remove broken stick, reinsert tube into block, reinstall bolt, install new dip stick, and have a happy day.

Why remove the pan?
It's done exactly like he stated.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
hockeyplayer21
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post

Why remove the pan?
i needed to remove the pan because the pan on the used engine was rusted and dented so i swapped pans from my old motor. it was just convenient at the time.
hockeyplayer21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
klimb2xs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LOL! Mine broke earlier this year while doing an oil change. I got lucky because mine broke when I pulled it out to check the oil before I started. I just put some electrical tape around what was remaining to keep it from getting pushed down the tube.

What is everyone doing for a replacement dipstick? OEM or aftermarket?
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer21 View Post
i needed to remove the pan because the pan on the used engine was rusted and dented so i swapped pans from my old motor. it was just convenient at the time.
Removing the broken dip stick while you replaced the oil pan made since in this case.

However,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer21 View Post
i replaced the 4-cyl motor in my jeep and the used engine's dipstick was broken off in the tube, and the only way i could get it out was by taking off the oil pan and pushing it out. i tried everything, drilling a small hole and putting a screw in it, i'm sure there are other ways, but in the end i ended up taking the oil pan out
this made it sound like the only way to get the broken stick out was to remove the oil pan. I'd hate for someone with a broken dip stick to walk away from this thread and pull his oil pan off because he thought that was the only way to get the broken stick out of the tube.
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimb2xs View Post
What is everyone doing for a replacement dipstick? OEM or aftermarket?
Bought an OEM one from Jeepsrus. It was about 8 bucks.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
vincec
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think the tube is held on with a bolt remove the bolt remove the tube remove broken piece rfinstall all done
vincec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

according to a post by JerryBransford (about a month ago) the oil dipstick tube does come off. ill try and find the post
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.