Difficulty To Install Cruise On Non-Cruise Jeep? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
rastaangel
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Difficulty To Install Cruise On Non-Cruise Jeep?

Well, need less to say i have had to do alot of highway driving with my jeep lately and not having cruise is starting to bug me... How hard would it be to install a OEM or aftermarket cruise system on my 05?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Rocky529

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaangel View Post
Well, need less to say i have had to do alot of highway driving with my jeep lately and not having cruise is starting to bug me... How hard would it be to install a OEM or aftermarket cruise system on my 05?
You may or may not be pre-wired.... if you are pre-wired, it is just plug and play. If not, you have to wire in the harness that comes with the kit. You can purchase it off www.jeepsareus.com. If you are careful and take your time, you can do it in an afternoon. Comes with detailed instructions.. but the price recently went up because the TJ is no longer in production.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
post #3 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

the OEM kit from Jeep is a breeze! And only a little over $200. Mine took me 30minutes and that included opening the box and cleaning up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.

post #4 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, what he said... I was pre-wired. Installing the new harness will add from 1-3 hours depending on your level of electrical experience etc...

-

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #5 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
jayhawkrichie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How can I tell if mine is pre-wired?
post #6 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

There will be a large plug next to the vacuum canister on (your) driver's side fender. Even if you're not wired, it's plug and play (just more time consuming).

-

Quote:
post #7 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Where do you get the parts- dealership? This is the 1st vehicle I have had in 20 yrs without cc sp would like it.

2004 LJ- 33X12.5 Mickey MTZs, Mickey Classic II wheels, 4.88 Yukon Gears, 3" BDS SL, Rockhard Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier & Rockers. Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank Skid. & Differentials armoured, Iggee Seat Covers, Warn M8000 winch.AEV TT & tranny skid, radiator & steering box skids
post #8 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 12:49 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Like someone said above www.jeepsareus.com or the dealer. I showed my dealer the add at jeepsareus and he matched the price.

-

Quote:
post #9 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 01:15 PM
MisterO

Don't mean to hijack, but I was just about to ask the same question just different year.

I have a 97 manual transmission and was wondering if the same info as above applies to me??
My right leg is gettin real tired on long trips...

Thanks in advance.

post #10 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Install should be basically the same. The kit might be a different part number.

-

Quote:
post #11 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJdriver View Post
Don't mean to hijack, but I was just about to ask the same question just different year.

I have a 97 manual transmission and was wondering if the same info as above applies to me??
My right leg is gettin real tired on long trips...

Thanks in advance.

I was wondering about this too, I don't think cruise control was even available on the 97 models.
post #12 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm... well then I suppose you will have to see if Jeep makes a kit for it or not.

-

Quote:
post #13 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
cartwright27
2003 TJ Wrangler 

pic?

does anybody have a pic of this plug so i can see if mine is prewired or not? i've been wanting to install cruise too.
post #14 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This is from an 05 Rubicon with the 4.0. The pigtail you see is for the cruise control and located on the drivers side fender.

Scott

"life is good at 2 MPH"
post #15 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM
R1Blueboy
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did the very kit from jeepsrus.. Mine wasn't pre-wired so the install was like 4 hrs.. You will have to unplug the grey connector on you're computer on the ps firewall and insert 5 new wires I think.. Been like 3.5 years since i did mine! Be carefull on that step and take you're time on the insertion of the wires and make sure they are seated where they need to be, and make sure the lightblue locking tab has them in place firmly enough.. Couple of the wires did that to me after 5mos of having it.. My mistake, and corrected, haven't had anymore problems!!! Pm me if you have any more Q's..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.