difficult shifting from 1st-2nd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > difficult shifting from 1st-2nd

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-30-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
langston.4
2012 JK Wrangler 

difficult shifting from 1st-2nd

i have a 2000 tj with 4'' suspension lift and 2 '' body lift and 35s. when i first got it there was no shift boot and everything ran/shifted just fine, although it looked like crap. i found one and put it in, and it hasnt caused any problems, however shifting from 1st to 2nd is difficult sometimes. it will grind in, or pop out sometimes, and only smoothly shifts in if i have the perfect angle. i have to pull real hard back and to the inside left(5speed, nv3550). downshifting from 3rd to 2nd is no prob at all very smooth. im assuming it has to do with the body lift obviously. so to correct the problem should i get a shifter extension, replace the whole thing with a longer shifter, or get a performace short throw shifter? any ideas, thanks alot

langston.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
blacktj27

I have a 1.25" BL 1"MML and a 3.5 suspension lift and I had the same problem. I ordered a black universal shifter boot from JCWitney and put it on the stock ring. That solved my problem. The issue you are having is that the rubber shift boot is bunching up when you shift into second and causing too much stress on it. If you replace it with a cloth or leather universal boot it will not bunch up like the rubber one. That is why there wasnt a shift boot on there before.
dana 44, 3.73 gearing, KC fogs,
RE3.5, 32x11.5 Kuhmo MTs,
KC backup lights, PSC diff. guard,
LoD bumper/tire carrier,
1"MORE MML, 1.25" JKS BL,
Pioneer AVIC-N2, Ultimate Air,
Novak T-case shifter, Warn 9.5ti,
PSC dana 44 bomb shell
blacktj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by langston.4
when i first got it there was no shift boot and everything ran/shifted just fine,
thats why the boot was removed...

I did the same thing to mine... but the no boot look doesnt bother me.
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
idgit0488

What type of boot did you put in? The stock boot? Is it rubber? I know a lot of people swap in an 05-06 shift boot that is a leather type material and seems to help that problem
Unread 12-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
jfm_nbpt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktj27
I have a 1.25" BL 1"MML and a 3.5 suspension lift and I had the same problem. I ordered a black universal shifter boot from JCWitney and put it on the stock ring. That solved my problem. The issue you are having is that the rubber shift boot is bunching up when you shift into second and causing too much stress on it. If you replace it with a cloth or leather universal boot it will not bunch up like the rubber one. That is why there wasnt a shift boot on there before.
wow. whoever figured this one out saved me some coin. I just bought (bargain of the century) an '01 Sahara that is absolutely mint. My only concern was second gear. Popped the boot and problem went away! BTW rotating the ring 180 degrees and snapping it back in also helps.
jfm_nbpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #6
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yep, shouldve left the boot off

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
langston.4
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks alot
langston.4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.