Differential vent tube keeps leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Differential vent tube keeps leaking

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Whipper Snapper
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Differential vent tube keeps leaking

After installing a new ARB locker in my Dana 44 rear-end my vent tube keeps spitting out oil after a couple hundred miles. The diff housing was notched during installation to allow oil to drain from the axle tubes to the diff. Any advice is appreciated.

RE 5.5 lift, ARB 4.88 lockers, 35's, skids/armor/recovery & the usual female in tow.

C'ya on the trail.....
Whipper Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did you put an aftermarket cover on? Some covers have a higher fill port allowing more fluid when you fill it. Then it burps out.
Unread 03-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Whipper Snapper
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yes I did replace the stock diff cover which may have caused the problem. Thanks for the reply

RE 5.5 lift, ARB 4.88 lockers, 35's, skids/armor/recovery & the usual female in tow.

C'ya on the trail.....
Unread 03-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
04WranglerX
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, my money's on too much oil in the diff.
35" Yokohama Geolanders on black rock krawlers
Dana 44 rear, ARB air locker, cromo shafts, Dana 30 front, 4.88's front and rear.
04WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
Did you put an aftermarket cover on? Some covers have a higher fill port allowing more fluid when you fill it. Then it burps out.
x2 thats the problem i had with my riddlers. it would overflow for about 10k miles

pull off the breather cap and clean it well with some brakes parts cleaner and let it dry (little plastic thing on the tip of the breather hose, up by the gas tank fill hose inside the fender)
mine was clogged with 1" of dirt and junk - once the oil starts leaking out, everything sticks to it
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
yellj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipper Snapper View Post
After installing a new ARB locker in my Dana 44 rear-end my vent tube keeps spitting out oil after a couple hundred miles. The diff housing was notched during installation to allow oil to drain from the axle tubes to the diff. Any advice is appreciated.
How big of a notch was ground in, I found the recommended notch did not allow enough oil flow, had to go back in a second time and widen it. Not a big deal to pull the locker once set up, just keep track of your shims when you pull it. I still get occasional puking, not much, because of overfilling, but because of the angle I still fill my Rockcrushers close to the top, only get the puking when I have extend highway drives.
04 Unlimited RE SF 4.5", 1" MORE BL and MML, ARB Bull Bar, AR23 15x8, 35x12.5 MTRs, Jeep Medic Engine and T/F Skid, Shrockworks Rockers, Warn 9.5ti, AA SYE, ARBs, 4.88s and Alloy USA Shafts, HPD30 w JJs 1967 M416

www.midatlanticjeepers.com
yellj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
slate210
1997 TJ Wrangler 

From what I recall, the D44 only requires 2 quarts of gear oil, regardless of the height of the fill plug. Not sure if a locker or notching will change that.
1997 TJ 4.0 5-SP 134k mi. Red Jeep Club Member #450 - Some mods...
NJJA - New Jersey Jeep Association

2006 VW Jetta TDI DSG 54k mi. BLACK Rocketchipped, boostvalve, boost gauge.
slate210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Whipper Snapper
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I really appreciate all the input. I did not notice any puking until I drove the 300+ miles from Moab to Denver last Saturday.

C'ya on the trail.....
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not an ARB Air Locker owner but I could swear that there's a specific ARB-recommended fix for this issue. It also seems that the latest version of the ARB doesn't have this problem... all I'm saying is that it may not be an overfill problem. Don't ask me for more details, I've already said more than I know for sure.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
yellj

Jerry, the recommended fix from ARB is to grind in a drainage slot in the housing to allow for proper oil flow, that is their fix for their latest locker. Here is the link to their fix, I found it not to be enough, you can always call their tech support is fantastic.

http://www.arbusa.com/alac/alsp/5-11.pdf
04 Unlimited RE SF 4.5", 1" MORE BL and MML, ARB Bull Bar, AR23 15x8, 35x12.5 MTRs, Jeep Medic Engine and T/F Skid, Shrockworks Rockers, Warn 9.5ti, AA SYE, ARBs, 4.88s and Alloy USA Shafts, HPD30 w JJs 1967 M416

Unread 03-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
kizer

My Super35 was drilled from what I recall talking to the installer.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellj View Post
Jerry, the recommended fix from ARB is to grind in a drainage slot in the housing to allow for proper oil flow, that is their fix for their latest locker. Here is the link to their fix, I found it not to be enough, you can always call their tech support is fantastic.

Awesome, that explains it very well. Thanks!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
yellj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Awesome, that explains it very well. Thanks!
10-4, the ratio of your help to where I can contribute is about 50 to 1 (with you ahead).

Unread 03-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #14
Whipper Snapper
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Great info gentlemen, see you on the trail

C'ya on the trail.....
Unread 01-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellj View Post

That link isn't working anymore here is the new one. I guess they are the same.
http://dedq15.mindfly.com/uploads/PD...uides/5-11.pdf

If anyone has any pictures of the slots they put in I would be interested to see them.

Also anyone know what model numbers or dates of ARB this is an issue with? I just had a used ARB put in my D44 and its spitting fluid out the breather in addition to a whine on deceleration. Which I hope is just from breaking in.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.