Differential Service 15,000 miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Differential Service 15,000 miles

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
WranglerMB
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Differential Service 15,000 miles

Just got back from my local Jeep dealer for a routine 15,000 oil and air filter change and was informed that I need a recommended differential service at a cost of $500. Typically I follow the service manual for maintenance and there is no mention of a differential service at 15,000. Is this service really required? I've a 2006 LJ.
Thanks..........

WranglerMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

early to me, if you have not been in water. also very high $$.

you can do it yourself for about $20-25 per axle. but, then again, you can also do an oil/filter change yourself for cheaper $$ (unless you got it almost free).
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerMB View Post
Just got back from my local Jeep dealer for a routine 15,000 oil and air filter change and was informed that I need a recommended differential service at a cost of $500. Typically I follow the service manual for maintenance and there is no mention of a differential service at 15,000. Is this service really required? I've a 2006 LJ.
Thanks..........
To remove 2 differential covers, drain, clean,reseal and fill?
GOLENJEEPTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think it says every 12,000 miles in my manual. $500 is way too much though. It's not that critical though, most people never change this for the life of their trucks and seem to be fine. I do mine once every summer...cause I get bored and I like wrenching on my Jeep.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
RVA_TJ06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

See what they do at the dealership (from someone I knew that worked at Jeep) they actually just suck out the fluid.. and charge you a lot of money.

Best way to do it is yourself.. But in the service manual it says to do it every 12000 miles. I think it's really early.. but I'm just telling you what it says.

Beat me to it.
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
design311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do it yourself and save your money. Takes an hour tops.

1976 CJ7 ground up resto in progress...
Firefighters Jeep Club
http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jeep_Club
design311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just got one of THESE for my birthday and a 5 gallon bucket of 80w90. I will be a diff changing maniac now lol.

MY JEEP

Last edited by vtx531; 01-24-2009 at 01:27 PM..
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I did my diffs at 30k, they were well overdue. 15k sounds about right, but don't pay the dealer $500. go to a local 4x4 shop - mine charged $180 for both axles w/ friction modifier for the rear. Don't forget to have them add friction modifier to the rear D44 in your LJ, which is needed for the Trac-Lok!!! I used that opportunity to upgrade to some Riddler Diff covers because it was included in the labor charge
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't changed my diff fluid yet and I'm about to hit 24k miles, the service manual just says you need it if you've been towing, etc... my Jeep's mostly a commuter and has only very rarely done a water crossing, so I figure I don't need this "optional" change.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
WranglerMB
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_TJ06 View Post
See what they do at the dealership (from someone I knew that worked at Jeep) they actually just suck out the fluid.. and charge you a lot of money.

Best way to do it is yourself.. But in the service manual it says to do it every 12000 miles. I think it's really early.. but I'm just telling you what it says.

Beat me to it.
You're right, it does say replace the fluids at 12,000 I bought it used with 13,000 I didn't look back in the schedule although it does say required if subject to heavy loading and or towing. I hadn't planned on giving those criminals a dime (giving them enough in a bail-out) probably do it myself with a bit of research first, wasn't aware of friction modifier for Trac- Loks.....thanks for all the tips..... love this forum
WranglerMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
AKTJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Diff fluid change

Do a search on this site for diff service and you will find links to step by step instructions on how to do it yourself. I had never changed diff fluid before but by using the info from people here I was able to do it myself and save alot of money and have the piece of mind that it was done correctly. If you use a good quality gear oil like Royal Purple (the one I used), Amsoil, ect. they have the friction modifier already in them. Just mtc glad I took the time to do it and am now more confident about doing other repaires and maintnance.
AKTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
djkoder
2009 TJ Wrangler 

My dealer recommended the same service at 15000. But there price is $280
djkoder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can't believe nobody has suggested to check stu olsen's website. He has step by step instructions with pictures on how to change diff fluid. The Instructions are so simple to follow, a child has done it. It's practically free (compared to 500$) to do it yourself and it only requires one tool, a 1/2" crecent wrench. If one is afraid to apply the rtv gasket by oneself, there are lube locker gaskets to be had online that make the job a snap. If one has a rubicon, the diffs have a drain plug allowing changing of the gear oil without even removing the diff covers.

Differential Service
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mine was nasty grey @ 34K when I changed mine. $500 is highway robbery though. You can easily do it yourself for under $50 per axle even if you use some super dooper oil.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
unlimited4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

4x4xplor has a great write up too. I used it this weekend. I can't believe they want $500 for this. What a rip off.

4x4xplor.com - Jeep TJ Wrangler, JK, CJ and XJ Cherokee Write-Ups

Look under the tech write ups. He has how-to's for a majority of the basic maintenance on your TJ.

A wealth of info on the site.
unlimited4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.