Differential Maintenance Suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Differential Maintenance Suggestions?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
yinzerr8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Differential Maintenance Suggestions?

While crawling underneath the rear of the Jeep (my 06 TJ SE with ~57k miles - no lift & mostly highway driving w/ some light highway action) I noticed that my rear diff (Dana 35) seems to have oil around the gasket, in addition to the terrible rust issues.

Check the pictures

Picture 1

Picture 2

Is this something I should be concerned about? I've read through the writeup on how to service the diff's here - Jeep Axle Differential Fluid Change Service - it doesn't seem like something that would be out of my leauge, I'm just concerned about snapping off a bolt.

Thoughts?

yinzerr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The rust pictured is not unusual. Just a little surface rust. You can wire brush and spray with black rattle can if it worries you.

Leak seems to be from cover, which can be fixed by changing fluid and cleaning rear cover and mating surface and resealing with rtv sealant.
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When was the last time you changed fluids according to jeep it should be done every 24,000miles, so it's time it would be a good thing to fix. As far the cover that is normal especially if you live some where they use salt, I would just sand it down to bare metal and repaint it black when you change diff fluids. As far as the seepage that is probably do to the RTV leaking a little, once you clean, and reseal it should be fine.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
differential , maintenance , gear oil , replace , replacing , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.