Differential leak? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Differential leak?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 06-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #16
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

D-30 Axle Shaft Seal Replacement - 1
Here you go!

2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb
TanTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I used the same write-up. It's an easy job with lots of steps. If you tackle it yourself you will save lots of cash. The seals are only a few bucks for each side, you'll need new diff fluid, and a diff gasket or RTV.

When you pull the brake calliper, hang it from the shock tower with either a wire coat hanger or bungie cord so you don't strain the brake lines.

It's basically 1/2 a brake job + 1/2 a u-joint replacement + 1/2 a tire rotation, all to do 5 minutes of work. If you have any of those jobs to do at the same time, buy some beer and have a buddy hang out and help.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
nqlblq
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Okay...

So, everywhere I read about this problem people are always out wheelin'. I was driving on a flat (very flat) I-94 for 2,000 miles. And when I got to my midway point, I started getting leakage. Since I am in-between point A and point B, is it okay to drive it? Since the original few drops, it hasn't dropped much else. The write up looks like more work than I can do with the limited tools I carry with me. And I'd hate to take it to a shop because my gues would be I'm going to be about $200 deep or so.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by nqlblq; 06-24-2010 at 09:21 AM..
nqlblq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #19
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you've got a long trip, top off the fluid and go. If the leak gets worse you might have an issue. The only real concern is running out of oil.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
nqlblq
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Zen, I just checked the fluid level and it is still full so I'll keep an eye on it.

Tags
leak , differential

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.