Differential Housing as a Jack Point? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Differential Housing as a Jack Point?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 07-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
bruker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Differential Housing as a Jack Point?

Do you use the differential housing as a jacking point for your floor jack? I've heard that you shouldn't and that you can lift your vehicle from there. Has anyone here ever had a problem after doing so?

Unread 07-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
HolidayJeep
Want pie now.

2001 TJ Wrangler 

My rear, yes, I jack it up all the time. In the front I jack from the frame since the diff. is off center. I'd bet it would be ok to use the front diff. too.

Just make sure you have some wood between the metal jack and the diff. If you scrape or mangle the diff. cover, it won't seal right and you could get a leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapahoe
Not to brag, I was the valid victorian my senior year. Best and the brightest of the bottom of the barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle
thunderspork
HolidayJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
SuMeRiaN
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sadly I have done it a few times to get the vehicle to jackstands. I would interested to see the replies here.
SuMeRiaN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
HolidayJeep
Want pie now.

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the writeups I've seen (not sure about the Haynes manual) specify using the diff. as a jack point.

Quote:
Not to brag, I was the valid victorian my senior year. Best and the brightest of the bottom of the barrel.
Quote:
thunderspork
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
Burbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just keep in mind if the axle can't handle a floor jack on level ground how good can it possibly be on the trail? I have used the diff housing hundreds of times on a wide range of vehicles without a single issue. As HolidayJeep mentioned just take precautions if you don't want to scratch that axle, but let be real it’s a jeep and they are meant to go off road so they will be scratched eventually so why worry.
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
bobbert350

its perfectly fine to do so i have been doing it from there since i had my jeep...just gotta watch out for the cover if u dont have a rock gaurd...you dont want to bend the cover or damage it
88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

[B]Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere[/B]
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i've used the front diff when fixing sway bar link issues to get the jeep to raise off center on purpose. works fine.... just be careful, use jackstands once you get your jeep in the air, otherwise its pretty unstable.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
HolidayJeep
Want pie now.

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely use jack stands either way, esp. in the front. I tried using the front diff. as a jack point one time and really didn't seem very safe.

Quote:
Quote:
thunderspork
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can you jack it up from the axel housing? I thought that was the jacking point for changing tires.....
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I usually jack it up under the control arm mounts, then insert a jack stand if I'm going to be under the TJ for a while.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
chiefkp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Can you jack the front on the axle tube so you can get a evan lift to place jack stands?
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
Combatsylvania

I always use the diffs to jack up the vehicle.. ever since i went in for a tire rotation and the saw they did it. never had a problem... I jsut make sure the tray is not on the cover..

I never have aproblem getting the forn on jack stands when jacjing from the differential either.. jsut set it down easy.

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #13
SuMeRiaN
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefkp
Can you jack the front on the axle tube so you can get a evan lift to place jack stands?
It can ben done despite being way off center, I have done it a few times. Just make sure you get the jackstands under there asap.
SuMeRiaN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbert350
its perfectly fine to do so i have been doing it from there since i had my jeep...just gotta watch out for the cover if u dont have a rock gaurd...you dont want to bend the cover or damage it
if your cover gets bent from jacking the jeep up then your screwed on your first wheeling trip

the axle tubes, diffs will both be safe to use to lift the jeep, they hold alot of weight as is you will be fine

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #15
[ITA]Tsunami
Italian Wheeler in Mexico

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I use to jack it from the passenger side axle tube, as close as possible to the diff. housing and than 6 tons stand under her asap. That's for the front. For the rear either the diff housing or the gas tank skid (if i don't have to lift it to much)
However it is a strange twist in the cosmic thread that will not allow the driver of a Jeep that has experienced air bag deployment off-road to consume beef for 48 hours after the event. You can consume chicken, pork, turkey, or emu.
[ITA]Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.