Differential Cover or glider? Which better? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Differential Cover or glider? Which better?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperCyber Sale on RUBICON EXPRESS - Short Arms, Long Arms, Tra

Unread 11-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
SoonerE39
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Differential Cover or glider? Which better?

Planning to change the fluid in the front diff soon and was thinking about getting a new diff cover. But it seems to me you could still slam the pumpkin down on top of a rock and the front cover wouldn't do anything for you.
Then I found this glider and was wondering if this would or wouldn't work better.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12523_200.htm
Tell me why a diff cover would or wouldn't be better than this. This is for the Dana 30 front diff

Thanks

4.0L Auto. D30/D35 3.07 gears, 1.25" Spidertracks spacers, RC 2.5" lift, 1.25" BL, 32 x 11.5 x 15 BFG MT tires, Brown Dog 1" MML, M.O.R.E Bombproof MM Brackets, Big Daddy Tie Rod, JKS Adjustable Track Bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, KC Daylighters, Smittybuilt swing away spare tire- bumper, XRC8 Winch
Red Jeep Club #493
36,602 posts behind Jerry Bransford and getting further behind each day!

Last edited by SoonerE39; 11-07-2008 at 09:01 PM..
SoonerE39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
JohnP
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was wondering about this myself. They look like they would work very well, but I've never seen anyone running them. Comments, anyone?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

the 2 things mentioned do different things. the diff cover is a heavy duty cover that resists impacts directly to the cover. whereas the skid allows the axle to slide over the rock or whatever could potentially get you hung up. for the max in strength and protection get both.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
Krautzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerE39 View Post
Planning to change the fluid in the front diff soon and was thinking about getting a new diff cover. But it seems to me you could still slam the pumpkin down on top of a rock and the front cover wouldn't do anything for you.
Then I found this glider and was wondering if this would or wouldn't work better.
Tell me why a diff cover would or wouldn't be better than this. This is for the Dana 30 front diff

Thanks
I had one similar to that one on my YJ, and it saved my front diff both on the trail and off ! That on part was when a large chunk of concrete fell off of a construction truck going down the freeway. Off-road; it helped alot to get me past some of those low obstacles. Too bad my tie-rod took a hit though...
Krautzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A SOLID or Riddler diff cover will take enormus amounts of abuse why add a slider when it lowers ground clearance and will probably get you hung up on something.

Unread 11-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is the RockIt by TurboCity and that's the last thing I'd pay good $$$ for. Gliders can be very good but that one isn't strong enough to hold up to anything serious. Several local guys I know used to run that exact glider but the rocks ended up ripping it right off. That particular product is just not strong enough to use in truly rocky terrain where a glider would otherwise be handy to have.

Between that and a good beefy diff cover, I'd go for the cover every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerE39 View Post

Thanks

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.