Diff cover hitting gas tank skid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Diff cover hitting gas tank skid

FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Diff cover hitting gas tank skid

The diff cover on my 8.8 (Blue Torch Fab cover) is hitting my gas tank skid. I have a Skid Row skid, which just covers the OEM skid plate. The best I can figure for now is to just remove the Skid Row skid, and see if there is enough room between the two.

The diff cover is very very large, and may also contribute to the close proximity of the the two. This gas tank skid doesnt give any addition clearance like a Kilby skid does, but I was thinking maybe I could just tuck it up farther b/c I do have a 1.25 body lift. Either that or just section out an area of the Skid Row skid with a grinder to allow room between the diff and skid...what do you guys think?

I already added some coil spacers to try and get some room, but when I added my SYE and dialed in the pinion it seemed to move em closer. Any ideas......

UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

anyone??????
Unread 08-21-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

could you grind the diff guard, or cut the skid?

I have the Tera diff cover and the Skid Row skid...and no contact...

since the area you are hitting on the skid is not likely to ever be a spot you'll hit with a rock, you could cut out a small section for extra clearance...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

big waylon....yea I think I am goin to cut out a section of the skid....first Im gonna drop the skid plate and see if it'll clear the stock skid...then either try and tuck the tank up more...and/or section that area of the skid....hopefully it'll all work out...thanks for your input
Unread 08-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

That is a very common problem when you rotate the pinion. You might have to put on adjusable lowers and move the axle a tiny bit in.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #6
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
That is a very common problem when you rotate the pinion. You might have to put on adjusable lowers and move the axle a tiny bit in.
ahhhhhhh never tought bout that I have all adj CA's....so I would need to shorten em the lowers? Possibly????
Unread 08-21-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTJ
ahhhhhhh never tought bout that I have all adj CA's....so I would need to shorten em the lowers? Possibly????
That would be the easiest fix.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks guys...I'll do that in the AM...and let you know how it went. I really appreciate your replys....

Shawn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.