Did I damage anything? (4WD Neutral + P) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Did I damage anything? (4WD Neutral + P)

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
TheMatrix
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did I damage anything? (4WD Neutral + P)

Hi,

It is my understanding that 4WD L should be engaged while in tranny neutral. I successfully got into it, but I couldn't get into 4WD H (to get back to 2WD). I decided to put it in P (park, obviously) to think about it, but that only resulted in a weird noise - not as nasty as "grinding", but something more along the lines of a piece of plastic caught in a bicycle spoke. I immediately shifted back into N, and was able to ram the 4WD shifter back to 4WD H.

Normally I'd just forget about it, but it's really puzzling me. Doesn't 4WD N mean both shafts are disconnected? So what was that noise I heard while in 4WD N and Park?

Everything about this Jeep is stock.

Thanks!

-TM

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

mine does that when on 4WD LOW + PARK.... just sometimes....

2005 WK Limited 4.7L - 4x4 (QT-II)
2" RC Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME Rear Shocks, Saguaro Shackle Mounts, Mopar OEM Hitch
alexr40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
TheMatrix
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks alexr40.

Is it normal for it to be difficult to get into and out of 4WD L? I've really got to ram/yank it fast, otherwise I hear grinding.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 5 speed so i can't have any personal input. but, my `02 owners manual has a couple of paragraphs for auto users, even to the point that if it is hard, you have to turn off the engine to avid gear clash.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.