Detroit VS Aussie EZ Locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Detroit VS Aussie EZ Locker

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
MickBurke
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Detroit VS Aussie EZ Locker

From what I've seen and heard, the Aussie is the best 'ez' locker out there. Is this correct? My other option is the Detroit, but I'm not sure how they compare. Any input is appreciated!

Mick

MickBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The full-case Detroit Locker is, by far, MUCH stronger and smoother on the road than any of those non full-case lunchbox lockers you mention like the Aussie. No lunchbox locker is all that great on the road, but some are better than others. EZ-Locker is the worst, Lockrite and Aussie are tied for second-place (they are the same locker), and the No-Slip is the smoothest lunchbox locker going for the rear axle.

Are you talking about a front or rear locker? Is your rear axle the standard Dana 35c or do you have the stronger optional Dana 44?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've had the detroit ez locker and now run the aussie locker in my d30 - the ez locker is poorly manufactured and I had nothing but problems with it. the aussie has been in for a couple months now and it's great, good on road manners in 2wd and works well on the trails in 4wd, I went with aussie over lockright for the price
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
MickBurke
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Sorry I should have mentioned it was being considered for the stock front dana 30. I'm expecting I'll get something when I replace the rear axle if I ever do. My trail riding is moderate, but wouldn't mind better traction in the front when off road. Thoughts?
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

I had the Aussie and didn't have any issues with it. It will click when turning corners but you get used to it.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
MickBurke
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
I had the Aussie and didn't have any issues with it. It will click when turning corners but you get used to it.
Is this just when it's enganged, or all the time (meaning just in 4 wd or in 2 as well)? Thanks again all...
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The clicking is referred to the ratcheting in 2wd when the locker is allowing differentiation. It'll rarely ratchet up front in 4wd. I dunno about others peeps, but I truthfully can't ever hear my locker ratcheting up front unless I make a sharp u-turn or while turning into my garage. My Jeep is noisy as heck. I can't wait for MT tires haha
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I can hear my front Aussie when in 2WD, but don't feel it. I only hear it when the window's down and it's a tight turn.
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #9
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

As mentioned I was referring to the vehicle being in 2wd; although you will hear in in 4wd occassionally also.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

detroit ez lockers are junk - manufactured poorly and work poorly (from personal experience)
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
MickBurke
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great info. Thanks all!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.